Thread: Which Frameset

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Which Frameset

I have an upgraded (SLX/XT, hydros, Fox etc) Giant Revel 2 2011 mtb (I bought the frame New and assembled it). I have a chance of buying a lightly used GIANT XTC 4 (T-mobile Ltd edition) frame for $240 (same size frames). I am not sure of the XTC year, I think 2008-2009. I usually ride medium level rides 20-30 kms. Do you think it is worth the upgrade?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Frameset-revel.jpg  

Which Frameset-xtc4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Honestly I don't think you would notice any difference at all, they look similar in terms of geometry. I would assume they weigh almost the exact same too. Can i ask why you want to change frame sets?

Fat-tired Roadie
    The geometries on the Revel and XtC are a bit different.

Check Giant's web site yourself and confirm. But IIRC, the XtC is a longer, lower bike.

I'm confused, though. The frame in the first picture is a Revel. I assume the one in the second picture is your current bike? It doesn't look like an XtC to me..
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The only reason to change the framesets is just because I thought buying an xtc that is supposed to be on the top of Giant's mtb list at this price is a good deal. Though if the xtc is longer and lower i would prefer to stick with my revel frame. The pictures are not the actual ones I just wanted to show the 2 frames. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Although they might have some small differences in geometry, I believe you would be better off saving your money and eventually upgrading to FS or 29er or a FS 29er. (If you want to add a further level of complexity go Carbon)

That way you will really notice a difference.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo View Post
    The only reason to change the framesets is just because I thought buying an xtc that is supposed to be on the top of Giant's mtb list at this price is a good deal. Though if the xtc is longer and lower i would prefer to stick with my revel frame. The pictures are not the actual ones I just wanted to show the 2 frames. Thanks.
    This would be upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Which is fine, but I think you're making a better choice if you like your Revel's geometry.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    XTC is a great frame one of the best i just purchased an xtc a few days ago! really happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    This would be upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Which is fine, but I think you're making a better choice if you like your Revel's geometry.
    I guess you reassured me with this. Thanks.