1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Frame size help

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Frame size help

Hello. I need advice with frame size for AM.

Bike: SCOTT Genius LT 20 Bike - SCOTT Sports

Geometry: http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb7552635/p5pb7552635.jpg

I am tried competitivecyclist.com and that's what I got:

All Mountain Fit

Standover Height Range 32.9 - 33.6 inches
    Virtual Top Tube Length 22.7 - 23.1 inches
    Stem Length 7.2 - 9.6 cm
    BB-Saddle Position 73.4 - 79.5 cm
    Saddle-Handlebar 51.8 - 53.6 cm

Your Measurements:
    Inseam 88 cm
    Trunk 69 cm
    Forearm 33 cm
    Arm 60 cm
    Thigh 63 cm
    Lower Leg 58 cm
    Sternal Notch 154 cm
    Total Body Height 184 cm

Dealer at my local shop says that I should go with L, because M seattube is too short and I can break the end of tube if I rise saddle too high, and 23" top tube will be too short with a 50mm stem. But I am afraid, that L will be too long for a technical ride and it will end up like a gate. And a worst part is that they can only order one of them for me and after I made a choose I should 100% buy it, and also there is no return or exchange. And also no way I can try them...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't know all mountain so that might change things - but I'd say a large.
    Your are 6' 1/2" with a 34.5 inch inseam. I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch inseam and ride 19.5 or 20 inch 29ers. I have a drop bar bike I purposely ordered with a 18 inch frame to reduce the reach and I use almost all of a 410mm seat post on it.
    A 26er will have a lower bar height than my 29er - I can't imagine how low the front end would be on an 18 inch frame.
    Your dealer must have other large and medium bikes you can try to get an idea how they will fit.

Maybe someone else with all mountain experience will have an opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I don't know all mountain so that might change things - but I'd say a large.
    Your are 6' 1/2" with a 34.5 inch inseam. I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch inseam and ride 19.5 or 20 inch 29ers. I have a drop bar bike I purposely ordered with a 18 inch frame to reduce the reach and I use almost all of a 410mm seat post on it.
    A 26er will have a lower bar height than my 29er - I can't imagine how low the front end would be on an 18 inch frame.
    Your dealer must have other large and medium bikes you can try to get an idea how they will fit.

Maybe someone else with all mountain experience will have an opinion.
    Thanks for reply. Will try bike with BB/seat tube that equal to M and will see how it will be. L has longer top tube (by 2.5cm) and seat tube (by 3cm). My experience with full-suspension bikes is near zero, so it's hard to realize, how that difference will affect ride.