1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

frame size/160mm rotor?

I have a '99 Cannondale Super V 700 SL with Fox Float fork & stock rear shock/swingarm. The fork max rotor size is 200mm. I'm gonna buy Avid BB7 front/rear brakes... 180mm front/160mm rear. I'm pretty sure the frame can handle a 160mm rotor but just wanted to check with you guys. Thanks

btw these BB7's come with brake pads right? The price for mine are $54 for 160mm & $60 for 180mm

Fat-tired Roadie
    BB7s, and all of them, I think, ship with pads.

Can you post a pic of the disc mounts on your bike? In 1999, the standards hadn't quite settled, and Cannondales are often "special" about standards anyway.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks AndrwSwitch. Here's my disc mount pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frame size/160mm rotor?-img_0758-snipped_mtbr.jpg  

frame size/160mm rotor?-img_0762-snipped_mtbr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that price for BB7's are probably for the caliper, pads, and rotor. You will still need brake housing, cable, and levers. Sometimes, hydro systems can be found for less and may even be lighter.

I'm not getting into a mechanical vs hydro debate as i also have BB7's on my commuter. Just letting you know there are more variables to consider.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Those mounts are a little weird. Shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but definitely use washers for the mounting screws. Usually the brake comes with the adapter (make sure to choose rear if you get an option) but it's possible you'll need a different one.

Looks like this is a bike that's already rideable? You'll need new cables and housings, but your existing brake levers should be fine. I don't find mechanical discs to feel hugely different from V-brakes in easy conditions, but when it's wet and nasty, they're a definite improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys. Luckily no one bought my new XTR brake cables i listed on ebay I was gonna go hydraulic but decided on mechanical. Yes i will be buying Avid SD7 brake levers.

Yep, the BB7's are for front or rear & fits both style mounts. Yes, according to the seller it rides great. I remember there was a same model Super V just like mine for sale here with BB7's on it, but i dunno what size rear rotor it had. Cool@when it's wet and nasty, they're a definite improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    About the levers, Jenson says "gray, pair" Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers > Components > Brakes > Mountain Bike Brake Levers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Are they $19.99 for a pair like the site says, or is that a typo? Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    Wait - is this not even your bike yet?

Hold off on throwing parts at it until it belongs to you and you have some miles on it. IMHO. You may not even like it, or find you blew it on the size or something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Wait - is this not even your bike yet?

Hold off on throwing parts at it until it belongs to you and you have some miles on it. IMHO. You may not even like it, or find you blew it on the size or something.
    I bought it in 2013 & have been very busy with my BMX & slowly upgrading this Super V. He's a very trusted seller. He came through with the transaction when it could've turned out bad for me. Size is good. I looked into that. My old 16" MTB was actually a lil small for me. Is $20 the normal price for a pair of levers today? Thanks

update: According to ebay it looks like $20 price is for 1 lever. Annoying how bike sites can't be more specific

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeSuperUberV View Post
    I'm pretty sure the frame can handle a 160mm rotor but just wanted to check with you guys.
    Yes the frame can handle 160 rotor. Larger rotors put more stress on the frame and fork. Some forks have a rotor size limit. I've never heard of a frame having a rotor size limit. But regardless, if there was a restriction it would be on a much larger rotor, not a 160.

But when you change rotor sizes you need to change the brake mounting adapter as well, so that the brake lines up with the rotor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Yes the frame can handle 160 rotor. Larger rotors put more stress on the frame and fork. Some forks have a rotor size limit. I've never heard of a frame having a rotor size limit. But regardless, if there was a restriction it would be on a much larger rotor, not a 160.

But when you change rotor sizes you need to change the brake mounting adapter as well, so that the brake lines up with the rotor.
    Thanks smilinsteve. I always only had cantilever/V brakes. These BB7's will be new, coming with the correct adapters (i hope?)

mtbr member
    Thanks smilinsteve. I always only had cantilever/V brakes. These BB7's will be new, coming with the correct adapters (i hope?)
    Yes I would hope so too

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sorry for bringing up rotor size as it's been asked to death on so many forums. I'm sure 180mm front/160mm rear will be fine for me. People have said with 180mm rear, it just depends on how hard you squeeze the lever. I'm experienced with that having been through 80's BMX & all around biking. My question is would 180mm rear be causing me to skid every time i feather the brake? Is it that sensitive/powerful? Also, i heard new bikes are coming equipped with 180mm front AND rear. Thanks

update: Free shipping ends soon; going with 180 front/160 rear... but sticking with my old Avid SD 1.9 L levers as they already have very good modulation

mtbr member
    Sorry for bringing up rotor size as it's been asked to death on so many forums. I'm sure 180mm front/160mm rear will be fine for me. People have said with 180mm rear, it just depends on how hard you squeeze the lever. I'm experienced with that having been through 80's BMX & all around biking. My question is would 180mm rear be causing me to skid every time i feather the brake? Is it that sensitive/powerful? Also, i heard new bikes are coming equipped with 180mm front AND rear. Thanks

update: Free shipping ends soon; going with 180 front/160 rear
    160 vs 180 isn't that huge of a difference. You can still modulate a 180 in the rear.

Fat-tired Roadie
    So is the bike in rideable condition right now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You can get a full set of BB7s on Ebay for around $80 shipped. They are 160 but I'd go that way and upgrade later to 180 on the front if you feel it is needed. I've bought several from Ebay.
    The levers on Jenson are for a pair - note it says Grey-pair. You can get a pair of non-speed dial Avid levers for $10. Or you can buy off Ebay with levers and cables.
    Your present V-brake levers are not recommended with BB7s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    So is the bike in rideable condition right now?
    Yes, I have all the parts except brakes. Some parts are not installed, & i didn't cut the steerer tube yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    You can get a full set of BB7s on Ebay for around $80 shipped. They are 160 but I'd go that way and upgrade later to 180 on the front if you feel it is needed. I've bought several from Ebay.
    The levers on Jenson are for a pair - note it says Grey-pair. You can get a pair of non-speed dial Avid levers for $10. Or you can buy off Ebay with levers and cables.
    Your present V-brake levers are not recommended with BB7s.
    Thanks Slash5. I found 2 guys using my present levers with BB7's in 2009/2010. The year might be relevant, as mine are probably stock 1999. What are the drawbacks with using them on 2013 BB7's? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry, you are correct, I was backwards. The V-brake levers are fine. It's the old cantilever levers that won't work.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: frame size/160mm rotor?

Yes, I have all the parts except brakes. Some parts are not installed, & i didn't cut the steerer tube yet.
    I would argue that that means that no, your bike isn't rideable. Kinda doesn't matter since you've already ordered the new brakes. But I still think you should try to hold off on additional purchases until you've taken it out a few times.

These projects have a way of developing new and unanticipated needs. So I think it's better not to get ahead of oneself.