1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Frame pumps?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Frame pumps?

should I get one? I was gonna get a mini hand pump, and also get a underseat saddle bag and stuff a tube, tool kit in it.....but from what I am hearing, those mini pumps are weak and depending on model they are fragile....

anyone using frame pumps? which brand? how well does it hold up to riding the trails?

mtbr member
    Just get a pump small enough to fit in your backpack along with your extra tube and tools. Most hand pumps will work well enough for trailside fix's

pronounced may-duh
    Frame pumps tend to fall off and get lost in rough and bumpy terrain. I suggest a mini pump and carry it in your camelbak. If you don't have a camelbak you should probably invest in one of those as well. I find my camelbak is indispensable.

Most mini pumps suck but think of it as for emergency use only like when you flat on the trail. I like the crank bros mini cause it super small and has 2 speeds. Or you could carry a CO2 pump for the trail.

Next you will want a floor pump for home use. The floor pump is the mac daddy and will make home shop work super easy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    got the camelbak already!

Yeah, I think I am gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a floor pump...those suckers arent too cheap, are they?

I carry an extra tube, multi tool, and a small pocket knife in the underseat saddle bag I got today

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've fixed many flats on the trail and road and pumped them up using mini-pumps. Just make sure you test it periodically to make sure it is still working. I spray silicone spray into mine periodically to help protect the seals from drying out. If you attach your mini-pump to the frame, make sure you get one with a strap on it to prevent it from falling off.
    You really don't want to use a mini-pump as your main pump (at home). Get a floor pump as suggested.

mtbr member
    For me, a mini pump is an absolute necessity. I've got one on my road bike and one on my mountain bike. They come with a bracket to mount directly onto the bike (I am not a fan of carrying a backpack...the more that I can attach to the bike, the better for me). I have never had any issues with them and they have saved me more times than I can count. I'm a female with little arm strength, and I've not had difficulty getting my tires pumped back up to a good psi with the mini pumps.

I would also recommend getting a saddle bag and to always have an extra tube, tire levers, a mini tool, and patch kits on hand. I'd rather be overprepared than under prepared.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I picked up a small Crank Brothers hand pump it has two compression settings and works great. It also fits very well in my under seat bag (saddle bag), they are a little expensive though. It does both types of fill nipples. Since I dont have to mount it on my bike I feel it's worth the extra couple of dollars. G/L

You really do want one and atleast a spare tube. My first ride out I saw 3 rattle snakes, 2 tarantulas and a bob cat (chino hillls state park). About 5 miles in I got a flat. I was able to change my tube out and ride back in with out any problems, I would of been real upset if I had to walk my bike back past all of that. I will add that after thorne ressistant tubes and tire liners I haven't had a flat yet.