1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

frame with dent, stay away or buy?

i dont do any heavy riding.. light trails and around the lake on a paved road. Do you think this frame is ok to ride or should i stay away? thanks for the help guys
    heres a link to the post

Salsa Spearfish 29er Frame - M

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My question would be, how come the manufacture didn't offer a crash replacement to the owner. Instead he's selling it...there may or may not be more to the story. I've had frames that I dented but I knew what, how & when it happened, I personally wouldn't buy a didn't frame.

mtbr member
    It's fine structurally. You just have to make sure that you're ok with it cosmetically for the price.

not really an mtbr member
    ^You can't actually know that. I'd be wary about a dented aluminum frame.

Flow like water
    I'll take it, if you are afraid of it. That dent looks like it is all of 3mm deep, by perhaps 5mm long. Insignificant, in my opinion. A Spearfish frame is not going to vaporize because it has one small dent in it.

Edit: It's a medium. I take a large. Otherwise, I'd be all over it. I got to ride a Spearfish this past weekend. That was an eye-opener. You would be wasting this bike on asphalt paths.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    $500 seems way too much
    carbon full susp stumpjumper frame for $500-700 on ebay.
    Specialized FSR Stumpjumper Comp Mountain Bike Frame (small) | eBay
    Last edited by bob13bob; 08-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Trail Ninja
    I personally think a dent in that area is fine for that kind of tubing and material. I'm no material science major and don't know much about that frame, but I've seen other frames ride just fine for 1+ year with worse looking dents, even through hard riding on mtn bike parks. Downtubes from reputable brands should be thick to take that kind of damage. I'd ride it. Reminds me that I need to get some downtube protection for my bike.

bob, I like how they made that carbon frame look like it was welded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thanks for the help and responses!

derp
    A bit expensive for what it is but i wouldn't mind that dent, i rode much worse and never had a problem. I would monitor the dent but i wouldn't be freaked by it.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I wonder how one would dent the frame like that w/o chipping the paint...seems "fishy".

As far as material strength goes, aluminum can deflect quite a bit before it fails...it's more ductile than steel.

I'd personally avoid a bike with a dent...surely there are other good frames for that price tag w/o frame damage. Scratches are ok, but dents...not my thing.

Here's a tension test my materials science class did with a piece of Al rod (plastic/non reversible deformation begins at ~8,400 Lb/f):

EDIT: yeah, it's tension, not compression (as would be the case here...in a bike frame), but the information is still interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i've had a lot of dented frames... before mtbing i did bmx for years.. always had dented stuff. never had anything brake. well, i broke wheels, broke forks, but not a frame.

Save Jesus
    All u need to do is to check the welds at the joints like head tube and bottom bracket. That top tube is not going to fail in the middle because of that dent. Well, check that the top tube is straight at least.