1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Fox Shox

mtbr member

Fox Shox

Most of the best bikes out there seem to have them equipped. What is it, specifically, that makes them the best? Or, one of the best?

T.W.O.
    R&D, Martketing, Test riders, User testimonials, price. There are other products out there that some would consider better but not as popular. In general, they are good bench mark.

...idios...
    There's no such thing as the best; which is especially useful to bear in mind when somebody tries to sell you something, or is telling you to buy something.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    There's no such thing as the best; which is especially useful to bear in mind when somebody tries to sell you something, or is telling you to buy something.
    In a market one of the products has to be the best for a specific user. I'm not saying fox is or is not the best, but one product has to be better even marginally. It depends on what each user wants, but I agree with you not to follow someone's advice blindly.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Their product managers do a great job giving great prices on them for the oem supply.

...then when you need service, they hit you on the back end ALWAYS for a new crown/steerer/stanchion unit for $250.

Pure genius.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Their product managers do a great job giving great prices on them for the oem supply.

...then when you need service, they hit you on the back end ALWAYS for a new crown/steerer/stanchion unit for $250.

Pure genius.
    I had this happen to me so I'm sending my fork somewhere else for service.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    mostly hype.

you pay a huge amount of money for a fork that isnt damped well for you and cant be adjusted. your only option is sending it in to someone like push to get it setup for another couple hundred bucks.

the RLC and RC2 dampers are good dampers, but those are only coming on extremely expensive bikes. usually a bike will have a crappy R or RL fox 32, which is a unadjustable noodle mostly using the name to help sell the bike. dont get sucked into the name, the other brands forks are just getting better and better. shocks too, ill never own another non serviceable fox shock!

their stuff is reliable though..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I also think that it has to do with the many different types of shocks they make for many different industries. Their experience has to be superior just for that fact. I also run Fox on my utv's and atv's. IMO!

T.W.O.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by rapdaddyR
    I also think that it has to do with the many different types of shocks they make for many different industries. Their experience has to be superior just for that fact. I also run Fox on my utv's and atv's. IMO!
    Fox learns from different divisions it certainly help them. Fox dominate the rear shock in MTB, a few companies has tried but never really make it stick. However RockShox is coming strong I have it on my Blur LTC and I'm very impress so far.

As for the forks, that's a different story. There are so many good companies to choose from. RockShox, Magura, Manitou, Marz, Maverick, etc. They offers different feature that would fit your budget and personal preferences. Especially high-end stuff Fox is not the only player there are a lot of stiff competitors.

I like Maverick because of the simple user serviceable, plushness, and lightweight, but I also own fox, RS, Magura, Marz, and manitou. From my personal experience Fox is definitely not the best not by far.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the input guys. I guess it really comes down to how you feel about the shocks after you have tested them personally. Right now my '07 Trek Fuel EX 5 has some stock Rock Shox Toras and I like them but I know that there are shocks out there which greatly exceed these.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No. They don't. Especially if you actually maintain your fork.

To the OP, Fox hit the market when pretty much all the other options were low quality or had poor dampers (RS was both). Fox also does not make a low end fork, and all the guts of their forks are machined aluminum. The other manufacturers have been playing catch up pretty well, but Fox's dampers are still as good as anything out there.

You also have people calling them noodles, but that's only compared to some of the new, very stiff forks coming out now. When the Fox 32 first came out, it was the stiffest XC fork you could get, and they're still plenty stiff.

Fox forks are still some of the most serviceable, and Fox is very happy to sell parts direct to the user (try that with RS). If you don't get the fully adjustable RLC, the damping can still be adjusted by playing with oil viscosity, and can always be re-shimmed (which a smart user can do), but the base setting works well for most people.

Their seals suck though, but easily remedied.

The fact is Fox forks offer a very compelling combination of weight and performance, and they did it well before the other manufacturers.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    No, people are maintaining them, with no apparent wear and damage, and they are still being told they need new uppers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No, people are maintaining them, with no apparent wear and damage, and they are still being told they need new uppers.
    Sorry, but your opinion doesn't matter much when your knowledge apparently comes from reading this thread:
    My fox fork rebuild experience

Fox forks eat their stanchions when either the bath oil becomes exhausted or when it run for longer periods with contaminated oil. Both of these problems are solved via regular maintenance. Do the maintenance, no new uppers needed. If the bushings do eat the stanchions, the wear is not visible unless the lowers are removed.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 04-13-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Underskilled
    Wow a bit of Fox thrashing in this thread.

However the general gist is spot on Fox WERE the top forks out there a few years back.
    RS is catching up.

Forks are generally known to be very plush with great small bump absorbtion (gives you better traction/grip)
    They are also releasing a new stanchion coating (hopefuly confirmed at sea otter in a few days) which may up the bar again.

Fox forks are great, but you get what you pay for, however so are Tora's.

If you go from a Tora to a high end Fox you will never look back.

AZ
    banned

Any first hand experience with this ? Anything that counters the excellent service and performance that I always get from Fox and And Fox customer support ?

T.W.O.

I agree, what's a seal remedy

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic

Their seals suck though, but easily remedied.

The fact is Fox forks offer a very compelling combination of weight and performance, and they did it well before the other manufacturers.
    May be you can help me, bought my fox 80 Terralogic a while back it was their top of the line fork, certainly top of the line price. It started leaking but the seal after about 5 mo, sent the fork in 3 times already each time fox warranty it, but problem still remain. I just leave it now and wipe the seal, though I wish I can fix the problem, or just change the fork out, it's a waste though cause I have may be 600mile on the fork that's it. I wish I can fix the seal.

Thanks
    CIMG1136

usually cranky
    its kind of like an xt rear deralliur on a bike. it is something to make the bike look better than what it is (in some cases). you need to look carefully at what fox fork you are actually getting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Fox also does not make a low end fork
    I think this is the easiest thing to notice for beginner buyers.

Remember when Manitou dumped their entire line of Minute forks on the intraweb? It became impossible to know if you are getting a good Manitou or a bad one.

T.W.O.
    Thanks, bad mechanic for the PM on the seals.

I wish Fox would make an aftermarket version of DCRV shock though. I had a few rides on the GF Roscoe and I really the action. It's like Dhx air with Rp23 weight and simplicity.