1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Fox Float - Propedal question

Just picked up an EX 9 with the Fox Float RP23 rear shock with 3 setting Propedal. What settings do you guys use? I understand 3 is stiffest, 1 is plushest (with it on), or you can just flip it off.

I ride *mostly flowy up and down hardpack singletrack with some technical areas, climbs, and some oh so sweet rock gardens =P... Figure if I know a big downhill is comin I can flip it off, and was thinking setting 1 or 2 the majority of the time.

What should I be using, and what works best for you?

T.W.O.
    Best is to set it at 2 med just in case and in a normal riding just leave it wide open. There's no need to firm up your suspension. Your EX9 should climb well without PP anyways. After a few months you'll get used to the sensation of active suspension without loss of pedaling efficiency, you'd never used pp again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    After a few months you'll get used to the sensation of active suspension without loss of pedaling efficiency, you'd never used pp again.
    This is true. At first I thought I needed PP for climbing. Now I leave it OPEN all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you set up the shock so that you use its full travel every ride by experimenting with the air pressure, you can set the pro pedal on 3 and only use it on long climbs. Again like one of the last persons wrote that once you get used to active suspension you will only need it for hard long climbs and rarely use it.

mtbr member
    Great replies. That definitely helps. I just took it for its first ride and was toggling between 1 and 2. Definitely liked it on one. Was gettin eatin alive by sand and slidin a bit much on corners. I think the PSI on my tires was too high, and also its rained the last couple days so it was a bit sandier than usual. I made some adjustments to the pressure on the front and rear shocks and plan to lower the tire pressure. I think those things should get me more dialed in on my next ride. Also, next time I'll try with PP off and see what I think.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use the propedal when I ride on the road (cannot afford both mountain and road bikes). I have the 2011 EX 8. I have a question though, because I thought the two bikes had the same rear shock but mine only has two settings, more of an "on" and "off" mode.

Back to the OP. I only use the PP on road. On trails, I leave it off full time. Sounds like that is what most people do.

mtbr member
    Hey man. Yeah actually mine is an EX8, but the bike shop through an EX9 frame on it. Not really any differences but I liked the color better and apparently the EX9 rear shock is a step up. Mine has Propedal on and off, but on has 3 settings, 1-3. Slight difference to answer your question.

It's about showing up.
    Lock out, front and rear, for road
    Lock out rear for steep tough climbs.

Propedal for general.

Full boing for the big stuff.
    I don't rattle.