1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Are Forte Carve pedals any good ?

Am looking for my first clipless pedals (on a mountain bike at least).

Forte Carve pedals are lightweight, less than 300 gr according to the Performance web site, they are inexpensive, and the few comments I have been able to find are generally positive. There are no reviews on MTBR though, any body have experience with these pedals ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    i would be willing to bet that those are just rebranded Wellgo pedals.

i'd probably just go with shimano 520's or eggbeater C's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Your're probably right. After I took a closer look, they are very similar to Wellgo M3's. Those don't exactly get glowing reviews

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    i would be willing to bet that those are just rebranded Wellgo pedals.

i'd probably just go with shimano 520's or eggbeater C's.
    X2! I used to work for Performance. During my time there, I sold them but I didn't offer to recommend them. Carves are okay, but for the same price you can get 520's and have a better pedal. The difference in weight is 3oz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've been using a pair of Carves on my year-round commuter for a couple years now, they seem to be holding up pretty well. A little surface rust on the non-aluminum parts (adjustment bits mostly). I can't speak to how they would hold up to rock-strikes though.

mtbr member
    They work great; been running them on my SS for a while now. You just can't beat lightweight pedals for ~$35. They are just shimano knock-offs, likely Wellgo. You can't go wrong with these.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT