1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Forte Campus Pedal Thoughts?

I just bought the Forte Campus pedal, 1 side clip the other platform. I was debating between the cranky brothers egg beaters and these. I bought the dual sided because i figure maybe at times Ill wear regular shoes. Plus this is my first bike I bought used off craigslist and wasnt going to go on the deep end and start purchasing expensive stuff for it. Plus I do plan on buying a new bike maybe a 29er if not at the end of the summer begining fall, maybe next year and thats when I would go all out with the clipless pedals and accessories, etc. I did get some Shimano m087 shoes though.
    Some reviews say they are hard to get out of. I thought these would be good beginner pedals for me since ive only been riding a little over a month.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1586500_400264

What bruise?
    These are good pedals for what they are. I keep them on my campus bike for the rare chance that I get to sneak out of work for a mid afternoon ride but can stil ride to meeting without worring about footing wearing dress shoes.

Much better than the plastic platform to convert SPD's which is difficult to insert and remove, gets slippery when wet and are generally a PITA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I love my mallets, not much more http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400936

I ride with regular shoes when out with the kids and just messing around, when I'm going for a real ride I clip in.

I wouldn't get a single sided pedal, but that's me. Don't want to screw around making sure the side I want up is up.

I will say mine are the older ones with pins. May need to buy another set to have around. Not sure if I like the new ones
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I've had these for about 4 years on my commuter bike and they've held up well with daily usage. I only use these with shoes that have the recessed cleat (like the Keen Austin) so pedaling on the flat side and clipping in when I'm up to speed isn't a big deal.