1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Fork upgrading advice.

Hi, I have a Specialized Hardrock Sport disc 2006 and I want to change the RST Gila forks for something a bit better.
    I have been looking at the Rockshox 302 and 318's as these fall in my price range however I am not sure if these will be ok as I have been reading around and think the Hardrock would only support 100mm forks. Is this true and if so why ?
    Thanks for any advice.

EDR
    The bikes geometry is designed around a 100mm fork, I'm guessing as I'm no Spec expert. Running a longer travel (more specifically a longer axle to crown) will slacken out the front end, changing the handling of the bike (possible in a bad way) and put undue stress on the head tube junction. These are the reasons why you should be wary. Now, the Hardrock may be plenty strong enough to run at 130mm forever, maybe not. Ask Specialized and they can guide you. Plenty of people run longer forks than what come with their bike with no issues aside from the bike handling differently, sometimes this is a plus is you find you like the bike a little slacker. A general guideline is to stick within 20mm of stock. That would put you safely (I think) at 120mm. If the Tora has travel adjust you could just keep at at 120mm or below to be safe.

My advice...call Spec. and ask this on the Spec. forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, I have seen a 100m Tora 302 at a decent price so think I will go for that one.