1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Fork upgrade. SR suntour raidon vs epicon

Thinking about doing the upgrade. Right now I ride 50/50 on/offroad trails. No big drops or jumps. I weigh 260ish. Is it worth it to splurge and get the Epicon, or will the Raidon suffice?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    btw, I have a Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I live down under in NZ and the Suntour upgrade program wasn't available to me so I went with Rockshox and had to decide between the cheaper Recon Silver or Gold and the more expensive Reba. In the end I thought that if I went with the cheaper option I would regret it and wish I had bought the more expensive fork so I bought the Reba. I'm really pleased with it and it immediately improved the handling of the bike but in hindsight I probably could have gotten away with the cheaper Recon and it still would have been a significant upgrade over the Suntour. I ride pretty similar trails to you and didn't really need the best of the best. I guess you just have to weigh up the extra cost and how long you plan to keep the bike and whether you need the better fork for the type of riding you are doing or plan to do.

Remember you never regret buying quality but you do sometimes regret taking the cheap option.

Not sure if that helps but good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I wonder how the Epicon compares to Recon GOLD. I was looking at them on ebay.

mtbr member
    I went with the 26'' Raidon on my Trek 4300, and it was a major upgrade from the XCM v3! It was much more plusher and fun to ride. I used it on some pretty rough trails and it held up great. Even a 1' drop was easily handled by this.
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    I did the upgrade program for my girlfriend and we decided on the Raidon. It is a great fork and she is very pleased with it. If half of your riding in going to be on the road why spend the extra money on Epicon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Choosing the Epicon or a 2010-2012 dual air Reba off ebay adds another level of improvement when coupled with a better front wheel. A FlowEx wheel(15mm) and a lighter grippy tire will add up to 3.5lbs off your bike at the front. It will climb easier over obstacles and turn quicker and track more precisely.

mtbr member
    From your choices, Epicon but you'll be better off with a Tower or Reba.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    all these upgrades out there makes me wish I would have bought the next level up. smh

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dirt devil, would you mind explaining your opinion to a n00b?
    I'm thinking of getting a Raidon or Epicon also.