1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Which fork upgrade should I go with?

I am just getting started in mountain biking and just bought Diamondbacks response comp. I am already looking to see if I should upgrade the forks. The bike came with Marzocchii Mz 3's and says its good for free ride and all mountain but the forks dont lock out which I dont like. So I was looking at the Marzocchii all mountain 1 or all mountain sl not sure which ones would be better. Also what is ride height? I see people say 3 inches, 4 inches, 5 inches and so on where is that measured from and how do you know if the forks are to big for your bike thanx in advanced

ride hard take risks
    The only thing a lockout is good for is climbing otherwise your better off with a fully active fork. If you insist on spending money i would go with the All Mountain 1.

mtbr member
    thanx, thats the one I was leaning towards. Is the 06 better than the 05? if so, whats different?

Freshly Fujified

5" travel

Don't go over 130mm travel. The bike was outfitted with a 120mm travel fork, so stick to that 5" general area. I would go for a leftover '05 AM and save yourself some $$. I don't beleiev ether's much of a difference if any.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    I saw they make the 05' am1 in two different sizes 110-130 and 130-150. So I should go with the 110-130?

ride hard take risks
    That is correct 110-130 is what you will want.