1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Fork upgrade on a 2000 klein attitude

Hi!

I've got a 1999/2000 Klein Attitude with a Manitou SX fork. The fork seemed to work okay for me in 2000 when i was 145lb but i'm 170lb now and it seems like I bottom it out just by leaning on it. I've read they aren't making rebuild/spring kits for it anymore so I figured I'd upgrade to something newer.

I mostly ride XC around Houston and Austin along with some urban riding with 3-4' drops. I just went to Ant Hills for the first time with my son and I'd like to be able to do some small dirt jumps too... I know my XC bike isn't ideal for that but I don't have the budget for several bikes right now.

I'm looking at either a RockShox Tora 318 coil w/u-turn or a Recon Race Solo Air. I've never ridden either but I like that the Recon has alloy vs. plastic controls and is lighter... my Klein already feels really light compared to most bikes I see around here and I don't want to add more weight to it, esp on the front end.

Eventually I'd like to get an Epic 29er so I don't want to go too far upgrading my Klein with a really high end fork, disc brakes, etc. since I prbly won't ever get any of it back... and it already has strong/light 20-spoke non-disc wheels.... I dunno, I'm really not sure what to do in the long run but my paycheck just hit and I'm tired of bottoming out all the time on my Manitou, it's scary.

Thanks for any advice/insight on what to do! Recon vs. Tora coil? Keep the v-brakes or ditch my nice front wheel and convert it to disc?

Thanks!!!

-jacob
    Last edited by jacobm3; 05-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I took a look at my front wheel, it's a 20 spoke a Rolf Satellite rim and hub and definitely nothing to mount a rotor on.
    Last edited by jacobm3; 05-14-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you can get a Recon Race with brake mounts, that'd be a nice upgrade. You'll probably want to space it down to 80mm (come stock 100mm, but can be internally spaced down to 80mm in about 10-15 min).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    sweet, just ordered a recon race with both v-brake bosses and the mount for disc brakes too.

does it matter what kind of fork pump i get or are they all pretty much the same?

thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobm3
    sweet, just ordered a recon race with both v-brake bosses and the mount for disc brakes too.

does it matter what kind of fork pump i get or are they all pretty much the same?

thanks!
    Your fork may come with a pump (some online OEM spec forks do not though). Otherwise, just make sure you get a pump with a gauge that covers the PSI you'll need. For the Recon, most shock pumps go to 250-300 psi which will be plenty for the Solo Air.

Underskilled
    You will like that fork, good choice on the upgrade.

You only need fancy shock pumps for very low pressures, i.e. my WB ran on 8 psi
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Arrggghhhh..... I got the Recon installed and realized it is 1.5-2" longer than the Manitou SX my bike came with (from the crown to the dropouts). The top tube has a much more noticeable slant rising toward the front now and it looks like it gave the steering tube a much more lax angle too.

Is that going to throw my handling off?

local jackass
    You may notice a sight difference but i went from 100mm to 120mm on my HT and have had no issues and it handles just fine
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

Hi.

Sell the bike!

Arrggghhhh..... I got the Recon installed and realized it is 1.5-2" longer than the Manitou SX my bike came with (from the crown to the dropouts). The top tube has a much more noticeable slant rising toward the front now and it looks like it gave the steering tube a much more lax angle too.

Is that going to throw my handling off?

Yes, it will throw your handling off. The Recon is a trail-bike fork suitable for your kind of riding, but not your bike. You would be better off with an 80mm fork, which won't be very good for jumping. But, as you already know, you shouldn't be jumping your bike.

All things considered, I'm surprised your frame hasn't cracked with those 3-4 foot drops you were talking about. Kleins are notorious for cracking especially around the BB on the chainstays, and they definitely are not made for jumping. A buddy of mine cracked two Kleins just from aggressive XC riding (first an Attitude or Rascal, I can't remember...then an Adroit.) Also, Rolf Satellite rims are XC-specific rims with their low spoke count and light hoops, and they have a history of breaking under stress.

You are significantly better-off with a different bike setup. Something with a strong rear triangle and head tube gussets, or a steel frame. You should be able to sell your Attitude for a decent price and switch over to a bike better suited for your riding.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hmm... okay a couple questions -

This fork came with some spacers to stop it down to 85mm or 100mm of travel. If I stop it down to 85mm will that take the travel out at the extended end of the travel or from the compressed end? I'm thinking if it reduces the travel at the extended end it will at least bring the geometry back inline.

I wasn't expecting to get much for my Klein even with the Recon installed, as beautiful as it is, it's got v-brakes and the seat is torn up pretty bad... I'm curious what people are willing to pay for them.

Former Bike Wrench
    Hmm... okay a couple questions -

This fork came with some spacers to stop it down to 85mm or 100mm of travel. If I stop it down to 85mm will that take the travel out at the extended end of the travel or from the compressed end? I'm thinking if it reduces the travel at the extended end it will at least bring the geometry back inline.

I wasn't expecting to get much for my Klein even with the Recon installed, as beautiful as it is, it's got v-brakes and the seat is torn up pretty bad... I'm curious what people are willing to pay for them.
    The spacer brings it down to 80mm and reduces the Axle to Crown measurement the same amount...as I mentioned in my original post you were going to need to do this.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    sorry, i wasn't sure about what end the reduced travel came from.

thanks!

-jacob

Former Bike Wrench
    sorry, i wasn't sure about what end the reduced travel came from.

thanks!

-jacob
    Nothing to be sorry about, just reinforcing what I had mentioned before...I think you'll find that things will ride nice once you get the fork spaced down.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Sell the Bike!

Does $500 sound reasonable or am I way off base?

http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1756974206.html

pusher of buttons
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Nothing to be sorry about, just reinforcing what I had mentioned before...I think you'll find that things will ride nice once you get the fork spaced down.

agreed, or try riding it once in the 100mm travel and see how it feels, If you like the handling features from before, put the spacer in. There are some great videos on you tube through sram on this subject, but if you watch and don't fell confident doing....DON'T. pretty easy job for a local shop
    WTF