1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Fork Travel Adjustment question

I own a Tora Front Fork with 85-130mm adjustable travel, if the travel is adjusted using the u-turn adjustment knob, will the fork itself become shorter, or will it only affect the amount of travel itself and not the physical height of the fork?

I hope that makes sense...Thanks
    Last edited by TrickyRCAF; 07-29-2008 at 11:21 AM.

re member
    I don't know about your Tora fork, but I have a Fox Talas that is 3 way adjustable between
    100mm, 120mm and 140mm.

It does make the whole fork shorter when you set it to the smaller settings. If it is in the 140mm setting, and you just click the adjuster to 120, nothing happens initially. But, if you compress the fork, it doesn't spring back all the way to 140. So you have to click the adjuster to where you want it, and then compress the fork and it stays "down".

When it is set at 100mm, and you click the adjuster to 120mm, you see the fork "rise" the 20mm. You adjust to 140, and you see the fork "rise" again another 20mm to the full 140mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Awesome thanks. This all makes perfect sense now, I just wanted to make sure I understood the functionality before I start adjusting settings.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you decrease the travel, it will also make your head tube angle stepper. Depending on how much you decrease the travel, your bike might feel more twitchy. Just experiment, though, it's not like you will hurt anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The original fork was 100mm, the Tora at the moment is at the maximum of 130. I didn't mind the way it feels now, but I think that is a pretty dramatic geometry change, and I would like to get back closer to the original geometry so as not to negatively affect or break anything.

mtbr member
    Yep, on the toras the fork itself shortens making the head angle steeper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    I don't know about your Tora fork, but I have a Fox Talas that is 3 way adjustable between
    100mm, 120mm and 140mm.

It does make the whole fork shorter when you set it to the smaller settings. If it is in the 140mm setting, and you just click the adjuster to 120, nothing happens initially. But, if you compress the fork, it doesn't spring back all the way to 140. So you have to click the adjuster to where you want it, and then compress the fork and it stays "down".

When it is set at 100mm, and you click the adjuster to 120mm, you see the fork "rise" the 20mm. You adjust to 140, and you see the fork "rise" again another 20mm to the full 140mm.
    The Tora u-turn coil is a little different. As you turn the adjuster, the fork raises or lowers because it is just a spring threading into the spring seat. Like the TALAS, the fork lowers with shorter travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't see the point on reducing its travel if the height'd be the same, so it's most likely the other way around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    When I turn the Travel adjustment knob clockwise the whole fork is shortened reducing travel, and counter-clockwise raises the height of the fork increasing the travel.

The confusion began when I tried turning the adjustment knob counter-clockwise and it wouldn't move, and I was too concerned I was going to break something, once I got my hands on the manual everything was crystal clear.

I don't have much knowledge in this area but wow did I ever learn a lot my removing my old fork and installing the Tora.