1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Fork Travel

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Fork Travel

I put a zip on the fork to measure the travel. I get about half at each ride (rarely 3/4 - at a smal jumb). Should I soften it more? Thanks.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo
    I put a zip on the fork to measure the travel. I get about half at each ride (rarely 3/4 - at a smal jumb). Should I soften it more? Thanks.
    If that is a normal ride then yes soften it a tad more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's a normal ride have to do with it? Maybe his normal ride has very little dropoffs, roots or rocks so using only 1/2 of the travel is good.

What we need to know is what kind of riding your doing? Meaning how rough is it? If you're using 3/4 of the travel on a small jump then what do you consider a small jump? You can't expect a reliable answer if you don't provide enough information. Knowing the brand/model of fork would also help. Come on fella work with us here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OK, its a RS Pilot 2004 model. The usual ride i am doing is in a natural park and it has only small drop offs as you said, (i don't know if i should put it in cms), like 20cm the most..... some roots, not too many rocks, sand.... I don't know if that helps. It is not too hard ride but not to easy either.

ride hard take risks
    Markleo is a regular here, i was aware he up graded his fork to a RS from a RST, i was cuttin the question short, sorry.
    Make it softer untill you start riding more agressive, you can adjust it tighter the faster you get. Dont make it too firm though, your better off having it plush yet wont bottom constantly onless hit hard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks dogonfr

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Markleo is a regular here, i was aware he up graded his fork to a RS from a RST, i was cuttin the question short, sorry.
    Make it softer untill you start riding more agressive, you can adjust it tighter the faster you get. Dont make it too firm though, your better off having it plush yet wont bottom constantly onless hit hard.

I tried to take some air out and there was no more air there!!!!! Are those forks working without air as well? Is there a spring or something in there?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo
    I tried to take some air out and there was no more air there!!!!! Are those forks working without air as well? Is there a spring or something in there?
    It should be a air assist fork, doubble check the owners manual if it says recomended air 0- then you will be fine. If it says not to run less than ??psi air then put the minimum amount in. Then thet means you need to ride more agressive. Dont you weight about 150?? or am i not thinking again.