1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Fork Suspension - 120 vs 130 vs 140?

Hey all,

Not sure if this belongs here but figured I'd give it a shot. I am working on building up a Kona Honzo from the frame up. I ordered a 2012 Rockshox Revelation RCT3 Dual Air fork, that has suspension from 120-140mm. Just need to put in spacers to change it.

I ride mostly singletrack out here in Colorado, but there are some lung-bursting climbs and some big downhill trails as well. I recently sold my Fuel EX8 that had 120mm suspension. I am having my LBS help me set up my new fork, and am wondering if I should go to 140mm, as most people with bike say, or 120mm?

The age old argument of increased climbing prowess vs better downhill. I could probably split the difference and go with 130mm to play it safe. Wanted to get some opinions and thought this may help some beginners as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    My $.02: Try it both ways. If you don't want to pay your LBS to switch it up 2 or 3 times, watch how they do it the first time and do it yourself if desired.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Yah ill probably start at 140 and just kick it down if needed. Just wanted to hear others who have maybe had the same dilemma.