1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Fork: Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP - OIL around pistons

Hey guys. This is my first post here and I just got my first true trail bike ( 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 26" ). I bought it used and it had been ridden only abou 5 time(I am inclined to believe that). Today I took it for my first trail ride and it was awesome. The one thing I noticed was that there is oil residue around the Pistons entry point into the fork and so the pistons themself were getting lines of oil but it wasn't like it was leaking. Pictures are included. Is this normal?Fork: Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP - OIL around pistons-p1060146.jpgFork: Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP - OIL around pistons-p1060144.jpg

Rogue Exterminator
    Normal

The lines around the fork tubes are just the spots where the forked stopped compressing.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's normal to some extent BUT those are filthy. Clean them up!! Just wipe with a soft cloth. You should do that after every trail ride. grit is no friend to your fork.

the shiny bits are called "stanchions" - although they do act kinda like pistons.

Specialized what Comp 26? Keep enjoying your bike/riding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Normal

The lines around the fork tubes are just the spots where the forked stopped compressing.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mhix01 View Post
    It's normal to some extent BUT those are filthy. Clean them up!! Just wipe with a soft cloth. You should do that after every trail ride. grit is no friend to your fork.

the shiny bits are called "stanchions" - although they do act kinda like pistons.

Specialized what Comp 26? Keep enjoying your bike/riding.
    Rockhopper Comp. Sorry. I just fixed it! Thanks for the info! I am cleaning them right now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A Rockhopper is a nice first trail bike. I think you're going to love it.