1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: fork sizing

mtbr member
    May 2011

fork sizing

so i need to replace my Marzocchi 44 TST2 140mm fork. what do i need to look for in terms of sizing, i need 15mm through axel so as not to have to buy a new wheel but what else if anything should i be looking for?

mtbr member
    You have to know what kind of steerer tube you have, whether its tapered or straight. If you're buying a used one, you also have to measure your steerer tube length to make sure you get one that is long enough. For the travel, its always a good idea to go with the recommended travel so if your bike came with a 140mm, then you'd want to stick to that, which more than likely has a 32mm stanchion. If you find a deal on one with more or less travel, it should be close enough to where it won't change the geometry of your bike too much. A shorter travel fork will make your bike more twitchy on turns and a slightly longer one will have the opposite effect.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks, is there any easy way to tell what kind of steerer or should i just take the fork off and check?

mtbr member
    The headtube of the frame would be tapered if it has a tapered steer tube. I dont think that fork comes tapered but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    What Shakester said, but just remember when measuring you must include your headset length on both sides of the headtube, the headtube length, and the length of the part of the stem the steerer-tube passes through, plus any spacers you want to put between the top of your head-tube and the bottom of your stem.