1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fork replacement?

I want to replace the fork on my bike and I was looking at performancebike.com and they had the Rockshox Recon Silver TK that I can get for about 150 after taxes. My current bike has a Suntour SF-11 XCM V3 right now. Is it a worthy and good upgrade for the price?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Prolly. Your fork weighs about 5.6lbs and the recon weighs from 4.5-4.9lbs. Also, the recon has lockout and I don't think yours does. I would say it would be a good investment overall for that price. Maybe you could even sell your fork and get some money back.

mtbr member
    Good point thanks. Totally forgot I can sell it. I am think $50 for the fork? The fork on my bike hasnt even seen 10 miles.

What?
    The Recon silver is a decent upgrade over what you have. But if you search around and raise your budget just a little bit, You can find a fork that will blow the Recon away. You want to try to find a rock shox fork with Motion Control, not Turn Key. Also look for any Manitou fork that is a 2010 or newer(a Minute expert, Drake, or Match). Those will be best fork upgrades at a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    I just called the performancebike store and they said the only had a Rockshox recon se I can't find any info on it.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtcurry View Post
    I just called the performancebike store and they said the only had a Rockshox recon se I can't find any info on it.
    They probably meant SL. If thats the case, buy it.

mtbr member
    Ahh ok thanks I will go out today and buy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Stores don't always carry what is on the website. There's a Performance store 40 minutes away from me that carries Fox forks. The one 10 min away has the Recon and the Tora SE, but no Fox. It really depends which one you call.

Order it online and get free shipping to the store since it's over $150.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

What?
    Ahh ok thanks I will go out today and buy it.
    Its going to be an upgrade even if its a TK. But if it has motion control, It will have twice the performance of the TK version.

mtbr member
    So I went to the store and its a Air suspension. I have never used a air suspension so I decided not to buy it today and go back home to research. Now my questions is how do I set it up? Also It doesnt have motion control.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Air is great as you can set the spring as high or low as you want. You use a shock pump to add air to the air chamber until you get the right amount of sag. I'll look around for for for you.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    This one's a little more money at $300 http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Rock-Sh...item35b20caf15

And this one's a good deal if you don't mind used http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockshox-Recon-R...item3f0a316732

mtbr member
    Ahh ok so I need a shock pump as well? I can get it at the LBS for 160 total including tax its a 2011 model. I am not sure If I want a used fork so much.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Ahh ok so I need a shock pump as well? I can get it at the LBS for 160 total including tax its a 2011 model. I am not sure If I want a used fork so much.
    I can understand that. Shock pumps will cost you about 20 bucks or so depending where you get them. LBS will prolly be a little more. If you buy the fork there, ask them to throw in a shock pump if it doesn't already come with the fork.

Mountain Man Dan
    That used Recon has a 6.5" steerer tube. That's pretty short. I doubt it would fit.

mtbr member
    I have a friend with that fork and he loves it for xc.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Yeah I have a Recon 351 uturn that I used for a while (replaced with a Revelation) and it really was a great fork.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    i have a recon race xc with remote lockout on my avalanche, its light and just as good as my fox f32r on my sensor. it was new came with shock pump so you may not need to buy one

mtbr member
    I have the 2008 recon race that is a great fork. It is air which is nice and very light. It replaced a suntour similar to yours and it is an amazing upgrade. Motion control is great. No problems with the fork so far.
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

mtbr member
    Well I bought it today and have yet to install it because I have a ride tomorrow and I dont want to mess with my bike before a ride.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Oh man I would work all night if I had to to get that on. It should only take an hour at the most.

mtbr member
    Yea I just want to do it right I am afraid i will screw it up

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Not much to it. Just unscrew your brakes, unscrew the top cap, take off the stem and any spacers you have. Cut the new steerer tube to match the old one and install the bearing race and star nut. Put the fork through the headtube, install spacers and stem. Tighten the top cap to preload the bearings till there is no play and then tighten down the stem and install the brakes. Done.

Dirt Abuser
    Save up more money and get a mid tier fork like the Rockshox Reba. There are a variety of settings on the fork, you will be able to dial it in to a variety of riding conditions.
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    So with the help of my father I got the crown off and on and everything was fine until I was measuring to cut. My old fork was cut at 7.5" and I read around that I dont want to cut under 8" if I ever want to resell it so I have to wait till tomorrow morning so I can run out to my LBS and get some spacers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast