1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Fork question.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Fork question.

Replacing shot fork on trek 4300.

Which one would you choose and why.

SR Suntour XCR remote lockout ($100 on ebay with free shipping)

or

Rock Shox XC28 ($113 on amazon with free shipping)

My budget is around $100 but I was also curious how is Rock Shox XC32 better then XC28.

I have V pull brakes and dont wish to upgrade to disk so I dont have many choices.
    Both are around same weight.

Thank you.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Tough one. I'd be leaning toward the XC28, just because if nothing else, RS seems to be better about after-sale support. In other words, you're a lot more likely to be able to find the parts you need to fix it.

IIRC, the XC32 has the same size interfaces for the internals as the Recon and up. This means that if, down the road, you wanted a different damper or type of spring, you could do it. Some of RS's low-end dampers had a reputation for breaking, so being compatible with one of the better-regarded ones would be nice if that came up for you. It may also be easier to find a spring kit for a coil-sprung XC32 to get it to work with your weight and style. I don't believe anyone's been able to find spring kits for Suntours in the US. Is the one you're looking at coil or air? I haven't memorized everybody's catalog... Anyway, for me, being able to adjust the spring rate is very important, and IMO it's not worth buying a suspension fork if I can't.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for advise, what about RockShox Dart 2 or 3 ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The RS XC32 has 32mm stanchions vs 28mm, so it is less likely to flex. I would not spend anything on a Suntour 'X' series.
    Darts are old models.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Fork question.

Is 32 worth the extra cash? $70 more then 28

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

Fat-tired Roadie
    IIRC, the Dart had 28 mm stanchions. However, I think there are spring kits kicking round for it, and it might even be cross-compatible with parts for the XC28. Call me a cynic, but I think the bike industry benefits from obfuscation and Bold New Graphics. SRAM is, IMHO, one of the worse offenders.

One of the Manitous was getting a lot of buzz as a good fork for stretching a buck. Last time I killed a fork, I was thinking I'd do the Recon Gold if I could get it at a price or the Surly 1x1 if I couldn't. Then a teammate offered me an old Marzocchi, so I've been riding that.

New is one of the first things I'm willing to jettison if a price is too heavy.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz View Post
    Is 32 worth the extra cash? $70 more then 28
    If you want to spend a few $ more the following fork might also be worth considering.

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Manitou/Manitou-Match-Comp-100mm-130mm-Rim-Disc-Fork.axd

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was in a similar boat a few months back, upgrading an old fork and needed V-brake mounts. I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a RS Recon Silver TK Coil. So far, its been awesome and huge improvement over the old (dying) fork. The current Recon is very similar to the XC32 - both developed from the old Tora line.

Here's kind of how I see things, based on the research I did:

32mm vs 28mm - if you are clyde (like me) and or routinely ride rough or technical trails, than its absolutely worth the extra 70 bucks for the stiffer, stronger fork. If you're a lightweight and aren't putting a lot of strain on the fork, you're probably fine with 28mm (but 32mm certainly wouldn't hurt anything).

Air vs. coil - Air is lighter and internally adjustable for length. Also, you don't need to ever change springs because the spring rate is set with a pump. You, might, however, need to buy a pump ($30 or so). And then you need to check the air pressure everytime you ride and for God sakes don't lose or forget to bring the pump. Coil is a bit heavier, but in general more reliable (if you blow a seal or something, the spring is still a spring whereas a busted air spring won't work at all). You don't need a pump, but you might need to buy a different spring to get it set up for your weight. But once the right spring is in, you can set it and forget it. No extra accessories. Coil springs also supposedly have a better ride feel. That's definitely true for highend gravity forks, but at this price range...maybe not so much. For me - I don't care about weight (don't race) and I'm the guy that'll forget the pump, so the simplicity of coil works better for me.

Manitou Match vs. RS Recon/XC32 TK - Manitou Match is a bit heavier, but defnitely has the better damper. Both makes are adjustable for rebound damping, but only the Manitou is adjustable for compression damping. To get that on a RS, you need to spring for an MC damper ($50 or so). Of course, the RS Turnkey (TK) damper can be adjusted by changing the oil weight, but that's rather ham fisted. I'd probably have gotten the Match if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the Recon. I'm not much of a tinker anyway, so I don't really miss the damper adjustability.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can't say I find my air sprung forks nearly that temperamental. I probably still top up every week or so, just because it's easy to do at the same time as I do my tires. But I think if I only did it as needed, it would be more like once a month. And I never bring a shock pump with me. I think my tires usually lose enough pressure over two weeks to make me a little more prone to pinch flats, so I do them every week and don't have to think about it.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Thank you every one, i very much appreciate every ones input. I'm 165lb and most of my riding is on paved road. Once or twice a year i take my bike out of state and don't single track with medium to easy trails. I think I'm going to go with rock shox 28 or if i do get done extra cash I'll get the 32s. I don't think i want the hassle of air and weight is not that big of an issue to me ether.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Can't say I find my air sprung forks nearly that temperamental. I probably still top up every week or so, just because it's easy to do at the same time as I do my tires. But I think if I only did it as needed, it would be more like once a month. And I never bring a shock pump with me. I think my tires usually lose enough pressure over two weeks to make me a little more prone to pinch flats, so I do them every week and don't have to think about it.
    Fair enough. Perhaps I overstated it. I mainly ride afterwork or in conjunction with another trip, so I usually check and air my tires at the trailhead; I guess that's what I was thinking of. Maybe that's just me.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, no, it's not just you. Lots of people seem to have a major parking lot ritual. I almost always ride my road bike right from my front door, and while that only recently became true of my mountain biking, it certainly put me in the habit of having the bike prepped before leaving the house.

I also used to commute by bike. Like I'm going to top up my tires every day to ride two and a half miles? Forget it! So I had some motivation to wonder how often I really need to do it to get the performance I want.

OP, if most of your riding is on pavement, don't discount rigid forks. They're cheap, foolproof, and the tire does a whole lot of the work off-road before the fork ever gets involved.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Ok, so I alerted my path a little but i could not done it with out every ones input. I'm getting rockshox xc32tc for 145, they don't have v brakes, disk only. I found avid bb7 brake with rotor on ebay for 30 and i just need a new tire for the front. So in conclusion I'm going to have disk brake in front with a nice fork (for what i can afford). I was planning to do disk upgrade eventually anyway so might as well do it now. I'm still going to have v brakes on the back. Its probably a little more then i expected to put on this trek 4300 but heck now I'll have a bike that i built and should keep me happy for few years until i kill it.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    One thing with the XC28/XC30/XC32 models is that they have non replaceable bushings in them, sometime in the future you'll probably have to replace the whole lower leg assembly on the fork.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you have V-brakes now? Most V-brake wheels aren't compatible with disc rotors, so you'll have to replace the whole thing.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Yes, the front wheel is getting replaced.

mtbr member
    If you ride mostly in town, why not get a rigid fork?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Because i do take it off road, just not as often as i like.