1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: fork question

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

fork question

hey everyone, i have a GT Karakoram. i blew the seals out of the forks this weekend while out riding. im looking at new forks, not interested in rebuilding crappy forks. but not really sure what im reading/looking at. anyone done an upgrade for this bike? any directions to point me in.basically im tring to avoid spending $500 on a $700 bike for forks. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Suntour Epicon off ebay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What is your wheel size, there seem to be a lot on craigslist lately.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    its a 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Suntour Epicon off ebay.
    You seem to like these forks as I have seen you recommend them a few times lately. How do they compare to the entry level Rockshox? Is there a particular model to look for?

I just recently bought the Airborne Skyhawk which has the crappy Suntour fork, so I may have to replace it at some point after I get a few rides under my belt to see how it performs.

mtbr member
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look at the Epicons on ebay for 26".-- $189+ship. Look at reviews. This seems like a new direction for Suntour. I've been impressed with the reviews and thought it would have a value price point This is probably not available in 29". I've emailed a couple sellers of 26" models on ebay without any 29" luck. Suntourus says they are distributed through QBP and the other majors in the US. Your LBS could order one. But pricing this way may be in the 600+ range so other options are good choices .I saw the 189 price on ebay and would get a 29" if it ever becomes listed at that price.
    A takeoff oem Reba or lightly used version is more realistic to look for. Manitou Tower Expert or Pro are good.

mtbr member
    You can get Fox Racing forks on eBay for around 400 dollars. It is expensive, but I believe it is the best bang for your buck

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    im not sure what way i wanna go with this. unless im wrong most forks im looking at i need to change out my hub?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It'd be helpful to know if you've got disk brakes or not. Unless you were really unhappy with the performance of those forks, it might be simpler and cheaper to just put new seals in.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gt9r View Post
    im not sure what way i wanna go with this. unless im wrong most forks im looking at i need to change out my hub?
    Maybe... I think you currently have a front quick release skewer???? Many forks are ready for the standard quick release skewers.
    My bike has a 20mm thru axle up front. So it all depends on what fork you buy. The low to middle end forks generally are set up for standard quick release skewers. There is a trend with some of the beefier forks to go to larger diameter axles.
    To make a long story short, find out what diameter you have now and buy a fork that is meant for that diameter axle or buy a hub and axle to match the new fork.

mtbr member
    JensonUSA has a HUGE sale on forks right now.
    I just got a RS Reba RLT 120mm for $299 at %60 off !!
    For an extra $100 you can get the 140mm RH SID RLT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    it has disk brakes. and has the quick release. i might just see about seals and compair what thats ganna run me. i dont really have an issue with the forks. its not a high end bike so its hard for me to put high end forks on it. if anything i'd rather spend some money for better brakes and drivetrain parts