1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

New question here. Fork: QR or 20mm axle

Hi,

I have a pair of Crossride wheels (QR, 100mm hub, 9mm axle).

I'd like to have the Pike 454 Air but apparently, it's for a 110mm hub with a 20mm axle.

Can I use this fork with my wheels, directly or by buying some kind of adapter?

As I understand, the 20mm axle makes the wheel/fork combo much stiffier. Is that correct?

Thanks for you help!

/M.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Not sure on those exact wheels. 20mm is stiffer, but for XC riding, and even a lot of AM, it's not going to matter. You can get the Revelation 426 fork, which is pretty close, but is QR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ufortunately....

the Crossride front hub is not convertable to 20mm thru axel. For Mavic factory wheels you'd have to step up to the Dee Max or Dee Trax wheels to get a 20mm front.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    the Crossride front hub is not convertable to 20mm thru axel. For Mavic factory wheels you'd have to step up to the Dee Max or Dee Trax wheels to get a 20mm front.

Good Dirt
    the crossmax ST is also available in 20mm (but it is not convertible)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    OK, thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by elmaco
    Hi,

I have a pair of Crossride wheels (QR, 100mm hub, 9mm axle).

I'd like to have the Pike 454 Air but apparently, it's for a 110mm hub with a 20mm axle.

Can I use this fork with my wheels, directly or by buying some kind of adapter?

As I understand, the 20mm axle makes the wheel/fork combo much stiffier. Is that correct?

Thanks for you help!

/M.
    Having switched to 20mm (qr Fox to a 20mm Pike) I thought the difference was noticable. Even on smooth terrain, the wheel is stiffer in the corners, and just tracks better.

Whether is is worth a new front wheel is up to you. I'm sure you would be very happy with the Revelation as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Btw, can anyone explain to me the difference between Poplock, pushlock, and Air vs Dual Air?

Btw, can anyone explain to me the difference between Poplock, pushlock, and Air vs Dual Air?
    poplock is a lever and pushlock, a button...both engage the Motion Control lockout.... there is a flavor of poplock, poplock Adjust that allows to set the level of compression....

on air spings from rock shox:

Solo Air (Recon, Lyrik, etc): one air valve sets the positive and negative chambers at equal pressure

Dual Air & Air U-turn: both have separately adjustable positive and negative chambers, but the U-turn one can adjust travel externally, while the "dual Air" forks do it with internal spacers

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Aha, Ok! So if I want to find the fork which is "equivalent" (at least in functionality) to a Talas RLC, then it would be the Revelation Air U-Turn, right?

Do you know if the travel is adjustable on the fly with the Revelation? That is: no need to get of the bike? I read somewhere that it's not possible with the Talas.
    Last edited by elmaco; 06-24-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Aha, Ok! So if I want to find the fork which is "equivalent" (at least in functionality) to a Talas RLC, then it would be the Revelation Air U-Turn, right?

Do you know if the travel is adjustable on the flight with the Revelation? That is: no need to get of the bike? I read somewhere that it's not possible with the Talas.

yeah... the Revelation would be a 130mm "equivalent" of the QR Talas 32......the travel is adjustable, but not as fast/easy as the Talas.... it takes lots of turns to get the U-turn accorss the whole range...although it does allow you to fine tine the desired height...

I usually stop if i mess with the U-turn

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Which one is the better fork, according to you? I'm 155-160 fully geared, riding XC/AM

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I've been told that for coil u-turn you need to get off the bike or at least slow to mess around with it, while the air u-turn is no problem to adjust on the fly.

As for which is a better fork I would have to say the talas just because its a fox fork and fox has a reputation for being the best, but I would buy the revelation or pike (coil u-turn on both) because they're cheaper and I really don't think I'm good enough to justify the extra dough on the small differences you'd notice between the forks.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

I post too much.
    Talas adjusts in 30mm increments whereas u-turn does so in 3mm increments. Dropping your fork from 130mm to 100mm will take much longer to achieve on a u-turn fork than on a talas fork.

Both can be adjusted on the fly with no damage to the fork, but u-turn is more of a hassle to play with when you are riding. Talas offers a simple lever with 3 positions.

Fox forks are usually much more expensive than rock shox, though they are a comparable quality IMO(I'd personally pick rock shox over fox, because IMO fox is overpriced) So it comes down to budget and features you'd want.

For XC and AM, honestly, a 20mm axle is not necessary at all. It would help, of course, but is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Talas adjusts in 30mm increments whereas u-turn does so in 3mm increments. Dropping your fork from 130mm to 100mm will take much longer to achieve on a u-turn fork than on a talas fork.
    a minor detail... 30mm is on the Talas 36...the Talas 32 goes 20mm per position

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    a minor detail... 30mm is on the Talas 36...the Talas 32 goes 20mm per position
    I thought so, figured this couldn't be right on a 130mm fork, thanks!

Also, to the original poster: You haven't mentionned on what bike this fork would be going on, this may help us help you in your decision as most bikes are designed to ride best at a specific fork height.

Go too high and you gain stability at the expense of maneuverabilty, and run the risk of cracking/breaking your frame at the headtube due to more leverage being put on it.

Go too low and the bike becomes twitchy and hard to control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The bike I'm planning to get is a Mojo. (Although I've started a thread in the Ibis forum about my misfortune... --> Supply Mojo clear.

I think the frame is "dialed in" for 140mm, so I'm also wondering if Im really going to need the adjustement possibility between 140/160 to 100. Maybe I'm just better off with a fixed... But I really like the possibility to drop the fork before climbs.

Another problem I have is that for some reason, Fox does not want to sell outside of the USA. Not so good for me...

I post too much.
    Dropping the fork before a climb does definitely help, you're right in that aspect, and the forks you are looking at seem like good choices to me, though I,d lean in Fox's direction due to their Talas system.

Weird about your comment on fox not selling outside the USA, my LBS is a registered Fox retailer.

Weird about your comment on fox not selling outside the USA, my LBS is a registered Fox retailer.
    what he means is that US Fox dealers are not allowed to sell overseas...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, you're correct, I expressed myself in the wrong way.

I can also find LBS's here which sell Fox products. Unfortunately, they have 2 or 3 models to choose from and the price is HIGH... I can have them order a fork for me, but that would cost more and take more time than doing this myself, for no added-value whatsoever.

However, if I turn myself to say, a US LBS or reseller, they're not allowed to ship Fox products outside of the US.

But that's another discussion altogether
    Last edited by elmaco; 06-24-2008 at 08:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    what he means is that US Fox dealers are not allowed to sell overseas...
    You're quick, Crisillo, very quick!

You're quick, Crisillo, very quick!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Both can be adjusted on the fly with no damage to the fork
    I assume you are referring to the u-turn air. Just to be clear, this is not true of the u-turn coil.