1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Fork Problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Fork Problems

So, I got my new bike today. It's a 2005 Norco one25, and it comes stock with Marzocchi Dirt Jam Comps, and on the fork, on each side there is a knob that shows that if you turn it to the right there is a + sign, and to the left there is a - sign. I really don't know what it means, and I tried playing with it and now my fork is VERY stiff and barely compresses at all. Anyone know what happened and can help me? Or should I ask my LBS, who is a bit of a drive away?(BTW, I think the knobs may be for the preliad, and I didn't get a manual sonce it was a floor model. Have I completely screwed up my fork?And I am a very light guy, any way to get my fork a LOT "softer", right now its so stiff, and its brand new)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Strange that you can't just turn the knob the opposite way and it should go back to the way it was. As for the owners manual you should still get one even though it's a floor model, but since you didn't you'll notice that you used a computer to write your question. Therefore you can go to the Marzocchi site and look at that particular fork and might even get lucky and find out there are instructions online. Cool eh?

Going for a ride......
    So you chose the NorcoOne25 in the end. How did you convince your parents to get it earlier??

You should get the manuals off your bike shop even if it was a floor model - they shoudl still have them somewhere. Otherwise like Fred3 said, go to the Marzocchi site and download the manual for the fork - and you may be able to get a user manual for the bike off the norco website. They are handy to have at times, and also could be used as proof of ownership down the track.

Here is the norco downloads site - but pretty useless doesn't seem to have any manuals available for download!

Norco Downloads Site

You can find info on your forks here:

Marzocchi OEM Forks

I'm yet to take my new bike for a ride and play with the settings to get it right.
    energetix

Going for a ride......
    Here is the pdf document link for the owners manual for the DJ Comp fork Read the adjustments section. And if you still can't make any sense of it then do ask the LBS or anyone who may be able to help you (your friend with the bike you liked?).

DJ Comp Manual
    energetix

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    THanks for the feedback, but unfortunately its very late where i am, so I'lll try tomorrow morning. I got this bike today by agreeing I'll do piano for another extra year. The catalogue says, turning the knob clockwise increases the "preload value" and turning it counter-clockwise decreases the "preload value". Can someone help me make sense of this because I don't know what preload value is, and why my fork is so unbelievably stiff. (My friend with this bike has Pike Teams in his 125)

Thanks anyway

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hmmmm....This bike was a floor model and they only took 15 min to prep it, and maybe they did a bit of a sloppy job. All I know is that it feels like I'm riding a rigid....

Going for a ride......
    The only experience I have with forks is my old bikes Judy TT and now the new Tora 318SL on my new bike - which I haven't had out on the trail yet. I will tell you what I know based on those because I'm by no means a fork expert and you will probably get better advice or explanations from someone else... so for now here goes:

The Judy TT is a spring & elastomer fork (like your DJ Comp), it has a spring and an elastomer in one leg (yours has them in both legs), nothing in the other leg. It only has one knob - the preload knob like you are talking about. For me it's hard to tell a huge difference between the two extremes of the preload setting unless I get out for a ride on the trails - preload wound off and the fork seems to return back alot faster, rebound wound all the way down an it seems more plush but slower to return - I usually had it about half way - about 5 clicks. The Judy TT's definitely don't feel anywhere near as plush as my new forks which have air. Something I never bothered to look into is the fact that you can get different springs to suit your weight better and thus make the fork plusher - being only 60kg I imagine a softer spring would have been better for me - the new forks I now have are adjustable by means of how much air pressure I put in.

So get out on a bumpy trail and ride over a section with the knob turned to the two different settings to see if you notice a difference in the rebound. Otherwise you could try & find out about the springs - what weight they suit, and if you need different ones. It is a pretty basic fork, which isn't such a bad thing - depends what you plan on mainly doing with the bike - I'm guessing dirt jumping?
    energetix

Don't touch me!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex923
    THanks for the feedback, but unfortunately its very late where i am, so I'lll try tomorrow morning. I got this bike today by agreeing I'll do piano for another extra year. The catalogue says, turning the knob clockwise increases the "preload value" and turning it counter-clockwise decreases the "preload value". Can someone help me make sense of this because I don't know what preload value is, and why my fork is so unbelievably stiff. (My friend with this bike has Pike Teams in his 125)

Thanks anyway
    Preload is the amount of resistance of your fork's spring. The higher the value, the stiffer the fork's compression. The lower the value, the softer the fork's compression. Your other knob is probably rebound. Same deal as above but with the fork's extension speed. I could be wrong, so definitely print out the owner's manual for reference.

I was in the same boat when I first got my Zoke, it was stiff as hell. Had to take the time to figure things out for myself. My best advice is to adjust only one knob at a time to figure out what does what. Once you figure out that, it's all gravy.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

There's no app for this.

read up here

http://www.marzocchi.com/System/2811...-Bomber-uk.pdf

Go to section 5: Adjustments. I'd download the whole thing so you can refer back to it.

Be careful, do something wrong and you can damage the fork and void warranty stuff. You should also call your LBS and ask them to help, as 1) they should have set it up for you and 2) they should have given you a manual for it (comes with bike from Norco).

Jim