1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: fork noise

mtbr member

fork noise

I have fox 32 float Rs. Under rapid compression they make a squishing noise. Is that normal?
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

skilldest©
    Has it alway been like that? How old is the fork? Do you see oil coming out anywhere? Has it been serviced lately? Is it on compression or the rebound (just clarifying)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    Has it alway been like that? How old is the fork? Do you see oil coming out anywhere? Has it been serviced lately? Is it on compression or the rebound (just clarifying)?
    ok, lets see.

bike is an 2010 i have had it for a few months and i think its been doing it since i bought it but i only notice it when i compress the fork when im stationary not when riding. No it hasn't been service, and can you please explain what consist of when it is?

On a side note how much noise an XT setup suppose to make when shifting? I have gone online and it seems like they are almost silent in videos but i dont know. I ask because i am spent trying to adjust the drivetrain on this bike and cant seem to get it right. So im going to take it in to get it tuned. However, not knowing if there is anything that can be done im not sure if i will be paying for nothing. Frustrated!!
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

banned
    Aug 2012
    me too

duh
    It could be a damaged seal. Or has been set up properly, you might be bottoming it out. Here is foxes manual that can help.

WebHelp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    I have fox 32 float Rs. Under rapid compression they make a squishing noise. Is that normal?
    I know my RS Reba makes a squishing sound. Its the oil moving through the inner parts or the fork. Not sure about a Fox though. I think the 2010 Fit models seperate the oil and air which decreases this noise. 2009 and earlier, i think, uses an open bath.

Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    On a side note how much noise an XT setup suppose to make when shifting? I have gone online and it seems like they are almost silent in videos but i dont know. I ask because i am spent trying to adjust the drivetrain on this bike and cant seem to get it right. So im going to take it in to get it tuned. However, not knowing if there is anything that can be done im not sure if i will be paying for nothing. Frustrated!!
    How much maintenance do you do? Have you lubed the cables, chain, and derailleur? Adjusted them? Have the cables or chain been replaced? How long has that chain been on there? It might be stretched. If it is stretched, then depending how much, you may need to look at the teeth on your cassette and chainrings. You want to replace the chain around 1/16in per 12 inches. If its 1/8in, then you may have already damaged your cassette and/or chainring.

Should you ever get to ride Sycamore Canyon in Riverside, let me know. Maybe we can make a few adjustments and give it a test ride to try and fine tune it. I'll be riding there this afternoon as a matter of fact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I know my RS Reba makes a squishing sound. Its the oil moving through the inner parts or the fork. Not sure about a Fox though. I think the 2010 Fit models seperate the oil and air which decreases this noise. 2009 and earlier, i think, uses an open bath.

How much maintenance do you do? Have you lubed the cables, chain, and derailleur? Adjusted them? Have the cables or chain been replaced? How long has that chain been on there? It might be stretched. If it is stretched, then depending how much, you may need to look at the teeth on your cassette and chainrings. You want to replace the chain around 1/16in per 12 inches. If its 1/8in, then you may have already damaged your cassette and/or chainring.

Should you ever get to ride Sycamore Canyon in Riverside, let me know. Maybe we can make a few adjustments and give it a test ride to try and fine tune it. I'll be riding there this afternoon as a matter of fact.
    I lube with dry lube often i don't know the age or condition of the chain. Im not familiar with how to measure or determine the condition at this point. I would love to take you up on your offer though if im able to make it down that way. Im about 45 minutes away from there. not sure if its feasible today though. i think i might have to just breakdown and take it to the local bike shop. Im right near an INCYCLE anyone every had maintenance done there before? I have made many purchased, its a great place with good prices and people, but i don't know much about there service.
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

O.C.C. member
    If you take it in to a decent bike shop to help you with your drive train,they can tell you if your fork noise is anything to be concerned with.I don't think it would be very expensive for a tune on the d.t. They may even show you whats wrong if they aren't busy and you have time.

I know how it is when a little noise can make you wonder if somethings not right.My fork makes a squish noise too.

mtbr member
    I do most of my own wrenching with the aid of youtube, these forums, and google so i have never been to Incycle before. I have only heard good things about them and am sure they will get you tuned up properly. As Cornfield said, they will likely be able to tell you if the fork noise is normal. It may need a service if its never been done to get some new oil, correct levels, and check seals. The sound could even be your rebound setting if its set too slow.

All of these cost money though, its good to have a pro get it all set right then after that, save money and learn to do it on your own. It may save you a walk if you ever have issues on the trail.

Beer Me!
    This may be normal. Depending on how my fork is set up it has more audible noise of oil movement based upon how i have my rebound and compression set up.

IMO you should goof around with your adjustments (ref the user manual) see if the noise changes at all. Your high speed compression may be off.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

skilldest©
    Good point because riding conditions while sitting on the bike where the pre-load (distance the fork is compressed while just sitting on it for example 20%) is different than standing still pushing down really hard/fast.

Have you thought about changing the oil? Fox says to change the oil every 200 hours or 1x per year. My 2010 Fox RL 32 had one dry foam washer. Unless you are really into being mechanical with stuff I suggest taking it in to a shop - call first it may be pricey. The reason I would suggest to have a shop do it is because I just changed my oil about a month ago and I made a mess all over the place and I made a lot of mistakes where I had to call some in on some "life-lines" late at night. The kitchen is not a good place BTW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I do most of my own wrenching with the aid of youtube, these forums, and google so i have never been to Incycle before. I have only heard good things about them and am sure they will get you tuned up properly. As Cornfield said, they will likely be able to tell you if the fork noise is normal. It may need a service if its never been done to get some new oil, correct levels, and check seals. The sound could even be your rebound setting if its set too slow.

All of these cost money though, its good to have a pro get it all set right then after that, save money and learn to do it on your own. It may save you a walk if you ever have issues on the trail.
    This is always my intention. however, Im embarrassed to say that this bike has eluded me. I have been wrenching on cars, guns, boats, houses all my life. Hell i even built a car from the ground up! For some reason i can seem to get this. Although, i guess it might have something to do with the fact that this is my first bike and i have nothing to compare it to know what it should or shouldnt do.
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

skilldest©
    Here is a video to an oil change. It is a little dated but it shows the basic stuff. Also, in 2012ish they came out with new dust wiper design. This is probably getting to techy and I apologize...just trying to help!

Competitive Cyclist shows you how to overhaul your Fox forks and shocks - YouTube