1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fork Help

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    It has the xct fork from Suntour. Just doesn't feel as cush as some of the nicer forks I've played around with. I guess I'll just ride it until something breaks... It's really the only part of the bike in not totally happy with at this point. When I first got the bike a few months back it felt fine... But after riding some other bikes with nicer forks, it just feels kinda cheap. But, you get what you pay for it guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what it boils down to is two schools of thought. upgrading the bike as a whole, or doing it in a piecemeal fashion which will be more expensive and take time, but yields a much better (custom) bike in the long run. a fork is good start as handling and control (condfidence) are important. imo this isn't a place to skimp. you can find some leftover/takeoff '12 reba's starting for $400, sid's $500, and fox's will be a little more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    This post has convinced me that it is time I get my hands on a bike with an XCT fork and do a lap at my favorite trail and see how "bad" it is.
    I await your review.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    "The SR Suntour XCT fork definitely held the Giant Talon 29er 1 back with its poorly controlled rebound."

That is what the testers at Bike Radar said about that fork. I don't think you need to wait for it to break to benefit from a replacement. Put a used Reba and a light front wheel and tire on this bike and you would feel like you're on a completely different bike-- one you wouldn't think about changing. And no limits on trail difficulty.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    It has the xct fork from Suntour. Just doesn't feel as cush as some of the nicer forks I've played around with. I guess I'll just ride it until something breaks... It's really the only part of the bike in not totally happy with at this point. When I first got the bike a few months back it felt fine... But after riding some other bikes with nicer forks, it just feels kinda cheap. But, you get what you pay for it guess.
    Yeah, the expensive forks are really nice. They are also about 30% lighter (~ 3.75 lbs or less) and 3x as much

Sorry to burst your enthusiasm. You have a fantastic bike. It really is awesome. Save your money for things you can carry over to your next bike: a nice work stand (Feedback Sports Classic), a really nice set of bibs (Canari Evolution), cyclometer (sigma 2209), lightweight shoes and pedals (your pick), a good floor pump (Joe Blow), a good tool kit (Park), saddle (very lightweight and fits your sit bones), a hitch mount and upright rack (Kuat). That's at least $1,500 right there. Any and all of those come before a new fork if you ask me.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    No worries. I appreciate everyone's candor here.

squish, squish in da fish
    no offense but that thing is ugly and has parts on it i still wouldnt want. 2000 and im almost to where i want it to be. plus i know the ins and outs of my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    "The SR Suntour XCT fork definitely held the Giant Talon 29er 1 back with its poorly controlled rebound."
    yes this is very true along with the easy to bottom out, preload dont work, & torsional flex is ridiculous in hard cornering. cant wait to bolt up that tower pro w/ 20mm axle. i foresee much higher speeds in corners

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    no offense but that thing is ugly and has parts on it i still wouldnt want. 2000 and im almost to where i want it to be. plus i know the ins and outs of my bike.
    I'm not offended. Glad you have the bike you want!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    the suntours on the revels and talons are pushing the "pogo stick of death", at least as a bigger rider. I loved my revel, made me want to ride everyday. But the fork was trying to kill me, so i jumped to a XTC 29er.... then my ass got tired and i ended up with my reign... damn, i have spent way to much money on bikes.

anyways long story short, the suntours are not great. You can look at getting a stiffer spring for them and this will help, shouldnt cost to much. But i would save up and upgrade the whole bike before putting 2-300.00 into a new fork, if your in a situation where your riding aggressive enough trails. If you ride light XC without to much steep and/or technical and your not trying to break any land speed records im sure the Talon will be a great bike for years with a few tweaks.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in here briefly about our product. We understand that not all bikes come with a fork that meets a riders style, terrain or expectations. SR Suntour makes forks at every level to meet a riders needs. Now I realize we are fighting a bit of a battle to get consumers to try our higher end product so we have launched a new program.

We are happy to provide a customer loyalty upgrade program that allows end users to upgrade to a fork of their choice from SR Suntour. Forks start at the Raidon level with an air cartridge, adjustable rebound and hydraulic lockout. Pricing starts at $150-$175 depending on the wheel size.

Best regards,

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, if I were in your shoes, I'd be reading some reviews and investigating the above post. Could be a real game-changer for a lot of riders.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Thanks for the info Nick. This is awesome and should also be posted in the Giant thread for Talon owners. (in the Giant subforum).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So, if you owned a used Ford Focus worth $5,000, that had shocks that were working fine, would you spend $2,000 to upgrade the shocks to give a marginally better ride and performance?
    That's a stupid question, of course not. You spend $2,000 on 20 inch wheels and low profile tires to make it ride worse
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in here briefly about our product. We understand that not all bikes come with a fork that meets a riders style, terrain or expectations. SR Suntour makes forks at every level to meet a riders needs. Now I realize we are fighting a bit of a battle to get consumers to try our higher end product so we have launched a new program.

We are happy to provide a customer loyalty upgrade program that allows end users to upgrade to a fork of their choice from SR Suntour. Forks start at the Raidon level with an air cartridge, adjustable rebound and hydraulic lockout. Pricing starts at $150-$175 depending on the wheel size.

Best regards,

Nick
    Can you please PM me with information about this? How much is credited for what fork. What forks qualify to exchange? Only Suntour forks or will you accept other brands? Where are they sent? I am interested in your better offerings.

Its 175 for swap to a raidon and I think nick told me 250 and 350 for the next mod up which is the epicon, depending on what version u do
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 12-27-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Fork Help

Am I reading it correctly that the Epicon doesn't have a 9mm qr option? Because I recently came into some extra money and my budget has been increased. I don't want to have to upgrade my axle to get a new fork... I'm currently looking at the Cross Lake Sales deal on the Recon Gold tk for $249. Am I going in the right direction or should I consider the Epicon with the loyalty upgrade for around the same price if it has the 9mm qr option or something else?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm in the same boat as you with a bike worth upgrading and a crappy fork. I thought about the Suntour upgrade and like you really didn't have the extra cash to upgrade the wheels to the 15mm through axle so I bought the Recon Gold from Random Bike Parts which is a sister company of Cross Lake sales for $238.00 I am worried that maybe I should have saved a bit more cash and got a Reba, Tower Pro, or Rigid but that would put me back in the argument of wanting a 15mm axle as well. The Recon Gold seems like a lot of fork for the money and if it doesn't do what I want it to I'll just dump it on Craigslist or E-bay to get back what I can and move on. Some sites are still getting $400+ for the Recon Gold and being lighter and a lot stiffer than what came on our bikes for $240??? Sounds Good To Me!!!

P.S. If Suntour is listening??? I really considered the upgrade program but the Raidon is heavy and only accepts a 185mm rotor which speaks of its flex so no go there, the Epicon sounds good/Looks Good but only having the 15mm option is a killer for us guys not ready or willing to buy new wheels at this time. Your product has a bad rap throughout the mtb community due to the overuse of entry level forks on decent bikes and while the Upgrade Program seems to be a good starting point to get the word out on your better offerings, you should have more options such as Epicons w/9mm qr's? You make them overseas? Have them shipped over? I would have bought one and probably the OP as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I did the upgrade to the raidon. I absolutely love it so far and feel like I have so much more control on the trails. It only cost me about $186 with shipping. Definitely something you should consider. Suntour was extremely helpful and nice to deal with as well.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Fork Help

I went with the Recon Gold because it was fairly cheap and it was 2.2lbs lighter than the Suntour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2