1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    bWu
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Fork adjustments?

recently I got a Boxxer Team 2007 and I was just wondering what does floodgate and compression do I know there is high speed and low whats the difference?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Compression damping....

is just what the name implies. It is an oil damper, usually seperate from the rebound damper, that allows you to control the compression characteristics of the fork when it hits a bump. Low speed and high speed refer to the forks speed during the compression not how fast you are going on the bike, though there can be a corelation between bike speed and compression speed. Low speed will affect how the fork feels over small bumps, rollers, low speed chatter bumps, climbing, etc. It can be used to tune out or reduce brake dive and pedal bob. High speed will affect the compression curve on large hits, things like drops, bombing rock gardens and the like and it will affect how the fork feels on square edged hits as well. It also helps in resisting bottom out. The Floodgate on the Boxxer is also used to adjust high speed compresssion damping but it a slightly different way. It is a similar type of "blow off" valve used in RS's other forks that use a lock out. However in this case it affects when the high speed damper opens up and starts to do it's work. So if you add floodgate it will be harder to compress the fork during a high speed hit, less will make it easier. It basically allows you to adjust when the high speed damper opens up and takes over from the low speed. Be cautious with the floodgate adjustment having it set too high can make the fork feel quite harsh on big hits. That's pretty much it. If you want more info on your Boxxer go here, http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...er_English.pdf it's the downloadable owner's manual for your fork from the Rock Shox website.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"