1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Forge Sawback 5xx sizing?

I am looking to get a Forge 5xx and am not sure what size to get. I am 6ft with 32" inseam.

I think the 19" would be best but am not sure.

I would mostly ride gravel roads and unimproved roads and maybe a few trails. No drops or downhill.

Fat-tired Roadie
    People your height usually ride 21"/XL frames.

FWIW, the top tube length - the "magic number" - on the 19" has been reported as 23 1/4", which is a little short for a 19" frame. Top tube length is the most important determiner of fit.

None of that means it won't fit you - these discussions are a little silly, because everyone's different. But if I were your height, I wouldn't buy one unless I could test-ride it first.

There are some "cheapest real mountain bike" threads sitting around on this site. Try Googling it. My expectation is that you need something that comes in several sizes for your size to be available. Bummer, because the 5xx looks like a pretty great value.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    AndrwS.. is right - the top tube is around 23.25". That's about the same length as a 21" Trek 4300 or 4500.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Wow... Trek's entry bikes run really short. Really makes me appreciate my Hardrock for having pretty close to the same geometry as a higher-end XC bike.

Which really further serves to illustrate the uselessness of the nominal sizes on most bikes. It's really a lot like a woman's dress size. What part, exactly, is a '2?' Two what?

Does Target ever have these things in-store?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Target.com is, IMHO, the same site as Amazon.com. A B&M store won't have these in stock... they don't stock bikes by frame size.... in store it is still by wheel size.

Mountain Man Dan
    I'm about 5' 11", 32inch inseam, and I ride a 19inch hardtail. It's a little big for me, but ill grow. 21 would probably be to big.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Forge website says 19" Frame / Standover Height 31.7" / Fits most riders 5'9" to 6'1"

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm not going to try to say that I know better than the web site of a company that makes bikes sold at Target. I am going to say that you should try to do some of your own experimentation before spending money.

Go to a shop, and ride all the sizes. You may or may not notice the difference between each individual size - it's fairly subtle. You'll probably notice the difference if you jump two sizes, though. Write down the specific brand, model and size of the bikes you like, so you can go home and look up the top tube lengths. Then compare that to the TT length for the Forge and decide whether it's going to be a good fit or not.

Getting the right fit is not especially complicated, but it is very important. You wouldn't buy a shoe on the internet that only came in three sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    .... You wouldn't buy a shoe on the internet that only came in three sizes.
    Only having 3 sizes wouldn't deter me from buying shoes as long as one of those sizes is size 10. That's not usually the case though. You usually only see the bargains on size 6 or 15.

Forge gives us average guys a chance to catch a break.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Good point. OP's a pretty big guy, though.

I could imagine buying a Forge myself, actually, as a bike to keep at a house in another city where I sometimes stay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am about 5'9" with no shoes.
    I have been riding a 19" 5X for the past 1 1/2 years.
    I think I have a pretty average build as far as torso/leg length goes.
    I like the fit on and off road. My daughter and wife both have 17" 5x's that I have ridden on short rides and I feel just a little bit cramped. Not bad and I could get used to it if that was my bike, but I feel better on the 19". My preferred seat height gets very close to the max seat extension limit on the 17".
    It is my opinion that the forge frames run a bit small for their size rating.

BTW, I love the bike. I think it is still the best bike you can buy for the price as long as you are capable of making a good size choice and you are capable of doing (or willing to learn) the assembly your self.
    The three we own have held up great.
    I intend to change out the tires soon (that should get the weight down close to 31 lbs). The one thing I wish that was different is the fork. I think they should put at least a Dart3 fork on it and price it at what ever the cost difference was. You wouldn't be able to come anywhere close until you spent at least $150-200 more.