1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3

    Forge DS free spirit

    What do you think about this bike? Good bad?

    What should be changed to it??

    Any reviews?

    http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B001D...earsBrand=core


  2. #2
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Im not gonna say a word, because that wouldnt be fair.


    Try this thread - the "Mongoose" Blackcomb is the exact same frameset - if my eyes dont decieve me.

    See here: Blackcomb thread
    And you'll see what MTBR members think of your bike.

    That said, enjoy it until it brakes (which might not be that long), then shout out for advice on your next buy.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    It's a step up from the wally world bikes,but it's not going to take any serious abuse.Still,ride it and have fun and if you decide you want a good FS bike save up for it.
    You'll want at least $1000 for a decent one,but a good HT which would be better then a cheap FS can be had for a lot less.

  4. #4
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    It's a step up from the wally world bikes,but it's not going to take any serious abuse.Still,ride it and have fun and if you decide you want a good FS bike save up for it.
    You'll want at least $1000 for a decent one,but a good HT which would be better then a cheap FS can be had for a lot less.
    No offense - but the frame is the same as the Mongoose blackcomb, as shown in the link in my post.

    That IS a wallyworld frame, this being the exact same, it pretty much is too.

    Sorry to break it to you (op) but its not a great bike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    I'm not offended as it's not my bike.

    Whether the frame is the same or not,it's better overall then a wally world bike,not a lot better,but better.I wasn't singling out the frame,but was looking at the bike as a whole.
    Now if you want to keep reminding the OP why his bike is crap go ahead,but I prefer not to do that without trying to be helpful.You're right it's not a great bike,but sheesh
    why does everybody have to be so harsh on people around here?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    That last comment isn't directed towards you by the way,it's more of an observation of mine.
    I'm sorry,but there are a lot of jerks on this site and sometimes it can be irritating.
    I've learned a lot from this site,but I'm glad there are more helpful,nice people on here then there are jerks.

  7. #7
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Its better to make sure the OP is aware that this bike is potentially dangerous.
    Im sorry, I wasnt aware that it was a requirement upon signing up that harsh realities had to be wrapped up in cotton wool - where is that information by the way?

    Im sorry, I tried to put it gently but if that doesnt make sense then I will have to be blunt.

    It IS a wallyworld bike/design.
    It ISNT suitable for offroad use, and is probably dangerous to use offroad in any kind of manner that equates to fun mountain riding - similarly to most wallyworld bikes, its a toy, nothing more than that.

    If you read the thread I linked to about the blackcomb, you will see alot of valid points made about something which is (effectively) the same bike. You will also see alot of people that flamed the OP (partly because he was a grade A moron, sorry to say), but hopefully the message will come across from there.


    Im sorry OP, I didnt want to have to put it this way (but someone trying to be overly gentle has forced me to have to do so), but its basically a poor bike. I wouldnt trust it to ride offroad and im sure 99% of people on this forum would feel the same way.

    If all you ride is paved paths and such, then it shouldnt be a problem - but you could have got a heck of alot better bike for your money.
    I sincerely hope you haven't already bought one, and if you havent, please DO NOT buy one.
    If you have, well sometimes it happens, and I wish you good luck.


    CRed - Im sorry if you dont like this, but facing facts is an important part of life. I appreciate that you shouldnt be rude and (in general) I try not to be, however, you have to be honest and fair, because not presenting someone with the true facts can be potentially dangerous, or unfair inthat they might end up buying something they really shouldnt (for example, buying a wallyworld bike instead of something actually offroad worthy from their LBS/online).
    I also acknowledge that there are (permanent) jerks on this site and in the world in general - at times though its neccessary that someone points out the harsh reality, even if it does put them across as a jerk once in a while. The harsh reality is that if someone gives information that doesnt give a true picture, its only fair to the person that wants the information that its put across correctly - even if that does mean showing up the person that gave said wrong info.
    Im sorry if you feel I've put you down here. I hope there will be no hard feelings. The fact of the matter is though that it isnt a bike, its a wallyworld toy bike and is dangerous to use on anything resembling a mountain.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    Well,I don't really think of you as a jerk and you're usually right and to be honest you're right now.I just can't help feeling bad for a person that comes on here just to be ridiculed instead of helped by some people on here.
    I mean why even go into the thread if you aren't going to even try to be helpful,but just want to bust the guys balls?If the title mentions the Mongoose Blackcomb why even bother going into the thread?

    I'm probably off on this one though,as I have not been to wally world to check out their bikes lately,I was thinking of K-Mart when I wrote what I did.
    So yeah,I'm probably wrong and you're right because I think Wal-Mart does carry the more expensive models while at K-Mart they don't have anything over $200 in their stores.

    Still,it will do for now and he can save up for a better one next year and then come back for help when he has enough money for a decent bike.
    Or he could do what I did and spend some time lurking,I really learned a lot doing that especially what questions to ask or not and NOT to buy a dept. store bike.

  9. #9
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Not being american, I wouldnt know the difference between walmart and kmart

    BUT. I know the type of bike we're talking about, and it wouldnt survive offroad.

    I dont mean to be harsh but in this case its all that can be said - that bike is dangerous on anything but smooth (paved or smooth dirt) terrain...

    As you can read in that thread (you might even find some parts entertaining, it became quite funny, mostly because of the OP being totally unprepared to listen to the sound advice he got) those things arent designed for mountain riding, theyd break easily under the sort of riding that even a beginner would put them through.


    OP:
    I REALLY dont want to sound nasty - but if you want to ride more than paved/smooth dirt trails, you should try and buy yourself a hardtail (it doesnt have to be stupidly expensive) and enjoy it without having to worry its going to blow up in your face. And btw, feel free to ask for advice on these forums - people are generally helpful (with a few exceptions).
    I really hope you arent offended by my words in this thread, they aren't against you - but I really wouldnt advise using that bike on anything that isnt smooth.


    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    Still,it will do for now and he can save up for a better one next year and then come back for help when he has enough money for a decent bike.
    Again no offense - but to try and ride that thing on anything but smooth terrain would be dangerous, if OP wants to ride anything more technical than a paved road or smooth dirt track, he really needs a bike that will survive it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    Again-none taken

    I kind of meant that when I said that it would not take any serious abuse,I thought he'd be able to put two and two together on that.

    Gr4v1ty-Don't be put off on this place because we're really trying to be honest and helpful here.You could have bought a nice Hard Tail bike for
    what you paid for that one and been extremely happy with it,any chance you saved the receipt?

  11. #11
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    Gr4v1ty-Don't be put off on this place because we're really trying to be helpful here.You could have bought a nice Hard Tail bike for
    what you paid for that one and been extremely happy with it.Any chance you saved the receipt?
    +2

    I agree with that 100%

    And to the OP, as he says, please dont be put off this place. There really are alot of helpful people here.

  12. #12
    Mountain Cyclist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    320
    I'm a (slight) fan of the Forge Sawback, but this thing is just awkward. Like any bike (or any thing) it all comes back to 'ya pay for what you get'. It depends on what you do with this bike (or a similar 'wallyworld' bike), and punishing it will cause it to fail is some weird/dangerous way. If you plan on riding this bike to the grocery store and you forgot a lock, this bike would work for that. Serious mountain biking, save up or buy used.

    CRed, you're right, most people on here are here to help and I'm glad you could find some useful advice! I think the "LBS bike snobs" chimed in because, although they don't know the particular model first hand, they know what this type of bike is about, and the individual who may not fully understand that 'ya pay for what you get'.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

  13. #13
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcxu
    I'm a (slight) fan of the Forge Sawback, but this thing is just awkward.

    I understand the confusion, but this isnt a bike made by "Forge bikes" who make the sawback 5xx (which is so well known on this forum).

    If im not wrong, the bike on this thread is branded as "Freespirit" which is a brand like Magna and other producers of lowend bikes, with the model named the "Forge DS".


    You have actually brought up a good example though of a bike which provides alot more offroadworthiness for not alot of coin, which can be found online.
    I have to be honest, even if you had to pay a small fee to return it - I would do so and move on to a bike thats designed to work offroad.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    675
    Yeah the Forge Sawback is a good deal as mentioned.You can also look at one of these...

    http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Horse-War...037303&sr=1-20

    A little more expensive,but a pretty damned nice bike if you ask me.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3
    I really appreciate what you did!

    I like the fact that you have been honest with me...and to know, I paid 280$ for this bike and I bought it from someone and not a store...Stupid thing

    Will be hard returning it

    And yes I bought this bike 2nd stupid thing

    Now...What to do? Try to sell it back? And buy another one? But what one?

    I had a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc But it got stoled (3rd dtupid thing I did ) So now the bidget dropped to arround 400$. I live in Canada so the Sawback 5xx is only shipped from America so it will cost me more than 400$. What would you suggest me in this situation. What to do? What bike to buy? Could this bike be good for at least mountain if I would add better things to it?

    Thanks for helping me and being honest with me. Next time I'll know to not buy this bike


  16. #16
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr4v1ty
    What to do? What bike to buy? Could this bike be good for at least mountain if I would add better things to it?

    Unfortunately, the only sane thing to do is to get something else - its really not safe to ride offroad.

    I wouldnt spend anything on it at all, itll be very heavy and if you had the owners manual, it would say in there that its "not for offroad use".



    Its unfortunate, I really feel for you - it cant be easy to have thought youd gotten a great deal and find out that its anything but.

    As to what to look at next - there are plenty of threads around about the best $400 bikes, search function should find alot of ready information.
    You might want to go down to your LBS and see what they have - if nothing more so you can get a feel for what you like.
    I would recommend a hardtail, because youll get better components for your money (this combined with hardtail frames being lighter means you'll get something at a useable weight, rather than a cheap fullsus which would be like riding a lead frame). You also find that hardtails are better for building up skills.

    Search function is your friend

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ktse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    395
    I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for saying this, but I do suggest at least trying this bike on the trails if you cannot return it. I really doubt that the thing will fall apart on the trails if it has been maintained and tuned correctly. I used to take my ~10 year old steel CCM (Canadian Huffy) bike to the trails until recently getting an 'LBS' quality bike and it took the same abuse as the rest of the nicer stuff I saw on the trails perfectly fine. That said, I ride my current bike a lot harder and much more aggressively than the CCM; you must keep in mind the limits of the bike.

    The only major risk on taking the dept. store bikes to the trails is if they are improperly assembled. If you're mechanically inclined you will no doubt be able to get them into perfect running order with the knowledge of the Park Tool's site and the late Sheldon Brown's site. Unless you intend on jumping the bike off 5 foot drops or anything crazy it should hold up.

  18. #18
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for saying this, but I do suggest at least trying this bike on the trails if you cannot return it. I really doubt that the thing will fall apart on the trails if it has been maintained and tuned correctly. I used to take my ~10 year old steel CCM (Canadian Huffy) bike to the trails until recently getting an 'LBS' quality bike and it took the same abuse as the rest of the nicer stuff I saw on the trails perfectly fine. That said, I ride my current bike a lot harder and much more aggressively than the CCM; you must keep in mind the limits of the bike.

    The only major risk on taking the dept. store bikes to the trails is if they are improperly assembled. If you're mechanically inclined you will no doubt be able to get them into perfect running order with the knowledge of the Park Tool's site and the late Sheldon Brown's site. Unless you intend on jumping the bike off 5 foot drops or anything crazy it should hold up.

    I understand why you say this. But its a HUGE risk to ride it on the trails.

    Im really not trying to be unfairly harsh, but the thing is a toy - if Gr4v1ty had the owners manual, it will say in there that its not suitable for offroad use.

    I dont like to say it, but if you ride that thing on anything other than a smooth dirt track or a paved path, youre endangering yourself and others around you - the injuries that can be gotten from such things really are not worth it.


    If you have the money available to get yourself a decent hardtail, thats really the best option you have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •