1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Food?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New question here. Food?

Quick question for you guys. I am planning on doing an early morning ride this Saturday (7:30) and was wondering what you guys eat before riding that early. I typically do not ride for 2+ hours that early in the morning and just want to get other opinions. I know I will need to eat something since its going to be a somewhat long ride and just wanted some opinions. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Keepin' it real since '74
    Before I go on early morning rides, I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal about 1.5 hours before the ride. This usually give me about 2.5 hours of fuel. I also take along either 1 or 2 of the following just in case I need more energy:

1. Energy bar
    2. Powergel
    3. Peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich (yummy).
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Bowl of oatmeal, banana and turkey bacon or sausage about 2 hours before the ride. Maybe a blueberry bagel on the way to the trail, but once I'm on the trail, I'm not real big on carrying food, personally. I've bonked, no doubt, but this seems to get be thru. Don't eat too close to starting your ride or you'll only make yourself sick.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

The Weatherman
    Bowl of hot oat bran cereal (oatmeal) sprinkled with brown sugar and raisins. Splash it with some soy milk. Yum.

That is typical early morning ride food. If I plan on being out long enough to spill into lunch, I will bring an apple and an orange. Maybe a granola bar or a piece of bread, bagel, or granola bar.

When I first started riding I used to pack a ton of food and fill up my 100oz camelback on almost any ride. No matter the length. Alot of the times I wouldn't even drink 20% of the water I brought, and maybe not even touch the food at all.

It's funny, because now I do many of those same rides without bringing any food, and in lieu of hauling that Camelback around, I just fill up a waterbottle and go with that.

ride hard take risks
    Dinner you want protein. B-fast oatmeal with raisins & cinnamon. Drink about 12-14oz Cliff electrolyte. Carry a Camelback 50-100oz water, Cliff Gell & bar just in case.

http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=shot&id=303

http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=shot&id=106

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks...

for the responses. It seems like oatmeal 1.5 to 2 hours before hand is the general consensus.

I do plan on carrying plenty of water and a couple gels with me. I just know I have to eat something before the ride and I'm normally not a big breakfast eater. Thanks for the advice.