1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fng

mtbr member

Fng

Yes I am a new guy. Been riding about one month now. Considering I work full time 70 miles from home and have have been on trails about 20 times in my first month. I would say I am hooked. Live in S. Jersey and work in Newark. Sometimes I push the envelope and have to blast out of the woods at dusk. Hahaha. Laughing and smiling the whole way. I am 46 years old, 6', 225 lbs.(weighed 235 a month ago)and, luckily, have always been very athletic my entire life. I have tried every sport throughout my life. Still hooked on hiking and weight lifting. Now I plan to drop below 200 for my new favorite sport. A friend of mine at work FINALLY talked me into getting a bike. So my awesome wife got me one for Christmas and I have not looked back. By far my favorite sport of all time. I love to watch football, but missed every game last week, because I would rather truly live life to the fullest, as opposed to living vicariously through millionaires, playing a game. I will have time for the late game today though. lol. Just wanted to say hello and I will catch you all on the newbie site. Later :-)

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Welcome! What'd you get! And the addiction only gets worse from here.

mtbr member
    Gelati,
    Thank You! I am going very basic right now through the advice of the same friend. I am cruising a 26er. Trek 820, everything standard issue...for now...Hahaha... I have learned over the past month that this is perfect for me at this stage of the game. By mtb standards it is not the best bike out there. But it is by far the best one I've ever owned...lol. Just enjoying the ride right now. Eventually I may upgrade. Thanks again for the welcome... and it is a good addiction to have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have found the best bike by far is the one that is under your ass at the moment.

mtbr member
    I can see you and me are on the same page. Hahaha. It doesn't matter unless I plan to seriously compete or go pro. Ummm...NO!!! The bike I have chosen absolutely matches my ability and my needs at the moment, and it gets me out there as often as I can. I have spoken to many people about bikes. Not just guys who need all the best gear, measure ever ounce, and judge every little bit of performance a bike can give them. No thanks. I will keep my 5 grand in my pocket. I think of myself as more of an explorer type MTBer. I can pretty much have fun on any type of trail. That is why I still love to hike too. I've just found a much more fun way to get around. My mindset may change over time, because I am quickly becoming addicted...lol. But right now. I am married with 3 VERY active kids. I am just learning and HAVING FUN!!!!

mtbr member
    WoW!
    You sound as excited as I feel now! still looking at bikes for now . Had to work this weekend anf didn't have time to test the 2 I am torn between again but off tomorrow. Hope to mahe the decision then. Can't wait to get rollin! I also had a medical problem and decided ti get myself back to the shape I was. I was on chemo for 48 weeks.

I have found the folks here to be very helpful and knoledgable.
    So welcom from one Noob to another!

mtbr member
    Fishboy,
    sorry to hear you had to go through so much. Hope all is good with you now and thanks for the welcome. It is just such a great feeling blasting through the woods. I loved riding my bike as a kid, but they never had anything like they do now. Bikes are so durable and unbelievably fast. They handle terrain awesome and make you want to be out there. And it such a great way to get in shape/stay in shape. Awesome workouts. People who like to get crazy know it is a total body workout and also great cardio too. Hope you find a bike soon. Enjoy the ride. Wherever it takes you.

mtbr member
    I got 2 main contenders,Cannondale sl2 and trek superfly al. both around $1300. Both are superb for the money. Both feel Great and could live with both.
    Rode a lefty and it felt good but seems to have a few more cons for me.

I am doing great now and all is gone. Thanks for asking. Hope all is well with your back also. I have had back problems before but nothing like that!

Will let you know what I get!
    Bill

mtbr member
    Where do you ride pathfinder?

mtbr member
    hankscorpio,
    Check it out on a map and run a topo/satellite image over the area. Trust me the topos are a little off. They have the hills at 60-70 ft., which is still a nice ride when they descend down to 5 -10 ft above sea level. It is called Cedar Creek Park. Nestled on the banks of the Cedar Creek, just west of Rte. 9. It is on the Bayville side of the border with Lanoka Harbor. The Berkeley Hills(as I affectionately call it...hahaha) ascend/descend insanely quick even when you are hiking it. Which is what i have done for years before I ever rode a bike there. There are many obstructed views that stretch out over the Pines. Great Place. The photos you see in my avatar/profile are right here in Lacey. Just south of Lacey Rd. Forked River "Mountain". The pic is at 185 ft. above sea level(a "mountain" by Piney standards...lol). The Pines that you see stretching out for miles in the backdrop all sit about 50-75 ft above sea level. Thus the great view. Been hiking that area for years. Alot of little surprises like my avatar out there, and I know right where they are. Where are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Pathfinder, it does sound as though you are hooked. There is no remedy, the more you ride the more you want to ride. We all know the feeling, glad you're having fun, as that's all that really matters.

mtbr member
    Inland. haha. When people say SJ they could mean a lot of places. I'm in Camden County right across the bridge from Philly. The only thing I have heard of recently out that way is people riding at Batsto. I've heard its relatively flat but drains exceptionally well

mtbr member
    Thanks Crash. Yes we all do know the feeling. Having a great time.

mtbr member
    Yes I heard Batsto is flat, but alot of fun. I am about 45 minutes from there. That is alot farther south than me and right in the center of SJ. From what I heard I would take the ride. Also have been there on foot and visited the village and walked around the area a little bit. It is a nice area. It is southern end of Wharton State Forest. I have explored the northern end alot. If you have not seen the Pygmy Pines they are a must see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm 47, been riding mountain bikes steady since '91. Can't imagine I'll stop until they make me. Your posts remind me of the good old days. It's easy to get sucked into the whole technological nightmare aspect of modern mountain biking, but you're right, you don't really need any of that crap to get out and ride all over the place. Enthusiasm takes you farther than carbon fiber does, and you seem to have that angle covered. Hiking will definitely be tainted for you now though; I can't tell you how many miles I've covered with my hands out in front of me holding imaginary handlebars. Enough to I know I'm happier on a bike than I am on foot anyway.
    Keep having a good time out there.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Fng-083.jpgFng-085.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	085.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	863914Hey mofo,
    Hehehe...he said mofo. Thanks for the advice about hiking. I already know what you mean. The thing I like most about biking is how much more I can see in one day. Still love to slow it down and feel the ground under my feet sometimes. Got a Quick workout at CCP this morning before the snow came in. Now falling pretty heavy. Blizzard like conditions later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fng-084.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yea its been commin down hard since about 12:00 here in Annapolis! Got about 7" so far! Puts the test rides on hold for a while!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a1pathfinder67 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	083.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	863913Click image for larger version. 

ID:	863914Click image for larger version. 

ID:	863914Hey mofo,
    Hehehe...he said mofo. Thanks for the advice about hiking. I already know what you mean. The thing I like most about biking is how much more I can see in one day. Still love to slow it down and feel the ground under my feet sometimes. Got a Quick workout at CCP this morning before the snow came in. Now falling pretty heavy. Blizzard like conditions later.
    uh oh...here come the kickstand police
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    So if I get rid of it I will instantly become a Pro like everyone else who doesn't have one?...Oh boy...let me go out and do that right now...hahaha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a1pathfinder67 View Post
    So if I get rid of it I will instantly become a Pro like everyone else who doesn't have one?...Oh boy...let me go out and do that right now...hahaha
    no probably not, but you may prevent the kickstand from becoming a major contributor to an ER visit...just a suggestion
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Thanks 229er.
    I am a newb so I am always open for advice. I just have an internal defense mechanism that meets sarcasm with sarcasm. Kickstand police is actually pretty funny. Question for you. I am guessing you ride 29's. Because I am just so sharp. Hahaha. As I ride more each day. I see that I will never be a highly technical rider. I don't have the time or body type to ride real technical trails. I am a south Jersey boy and most trails close to me are more X country type. Some heavy roots is the most technical it gets. Most good parks here are fast single track, which I tend to like more.
    I am a husband/father of 3 and work 70 miles from home. Therefore no time to travel to far away technical trails. The one by my house has some technical trails. Very tight single track with tons of roots and it is fun but I like the long flowing fast single tracks better. It is a small park but it has those too. Now my question. I am riding 26's right now. Just getting used to the sport right now. So not looking to spend any money just yet. But given my preference would you suggest eventually moving to bigger tires?

All suggestions welcome.

mtbr member
    Best advice I could give here would be to see if you can meet up with people to ride (pretty much guarantee 1 out of every 2/3/4 riders these days is on a 29) and see if you can ride it for a few minutes. Also keep your eye out for demo days come spring/summer. I'm a short guy at 5'8 but when i was bike shopping the 29er just felt right. Yes, the 26 is more agile but like you I dont find my riding to be very technical or agile so occasionally in a tight twisty i am a little slower moving those big tires but it more then makes up for it with the speed and roll over ability.

Another suggestion is try and get out to some events if you can. This past october I went to a mountain bike jamboree in Maryland (only about an hour and ten minute drive from camden county) and had a blast. Riding marked trails, seeing hundreds of bikes, contests, food, beer, music, and of course plenty of demo bikes to try out on actual trails and not a parking lot.

mtbr member
    Thanks hank,
    Planned on making some events in the future. Will definitely ride with other people too. I work with a lot of people who mtb. As I said I am very busy so it is hard to plan anything. But we have been talking and I know we will eventually get some rides together. I know for sure people will let me sample their rides too. Food, beer, music, mtb. Sounds like a perfect day :-)

mtbr member
    May 2012

Fng

A1,
    I'm relative noob as well... Started 2 years ago at age 44. Only ride was a crappy department store 26er. Was hooked within a couple months and started researching bikes to buy. Ended up getting a 2013 Trek Mamba 29er. Definitely mid-range of the Trek hardtail 29ers, but infinitely better than the Walmart bike I was riding. I'm only 5' 9" but the 29er felt great right away for me.

We don't have too much tight, twisty single track in our area so those bigger wheels just roll so well once you get them going. And, rocks, roots and logs I cringed at going over on my 26er bike were soooo much easier to navigate on the 29er. So I'm definitely a fan of the 29er for more XC style riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    no probably not, but you may prevent the kickstand from becoming a major contributor to an ER visit...just a suggestion
    you will not see kickstands on a "real" mtb due to the fact that if the trail is a bump-t-bump ditty, you have a real possibility of the stand going into the lean-to mode...makes great fodder for observers, but not so good a time for the rider

as far as your wheel size query...you just need to spend some time researching here as there are literally hundreds of posts dedicated to the subject...and your "answer" will do doubt be a moving target what works good for you today, may not work so good tomorrow. I'd label it evolution...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast