1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

floor bike pump recommendations?

are there any floor bike pumps you guys recommend? metal over plastic?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Topeak Joe Blow is a good pump.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    +1. love mine.

Picture Unrelated
    My Joe Blow Pro gave me a lot of years of good service but I am currently using a Lezyne Classic Dirt Floor Drive which I really like. I can seat my faux-tubeless setup (standard rims, Stan's yellow tape, and TR tires) with them at the trailhead if I need to which I can't even do with gas station compressors. The thread-on head can be troublesome with removable valve core presta tubes or stems but it's overall a great dirt pump. If you need a pump for pressures over 70 psi look elsewhere.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Thats what's sitting next to me right now. Great pump, reasonable price.
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

Jonesin'
    Lezyne steel drive, very solid.

My review is in the review section. You can ignore that $116 msrp, I don't know where that came from.
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've bought several different pumps throughout the years and the best one I've used is the topeak joe blow pro. It works great at high pressures for road bike tires, and even my mom can air up her tires no problem. A lot of less expensive pumps can be difficult to air up over 70 psi (overkill if your only using it on mtn bikes). I've set up many wheels tubeless, and even pumped up a few car tires with it.

One thing to pay attention on cheaper pumps is the gauge reading. I've noticed they can be off by a lot. I have a pump that tells me 25psi but both my hand held gauges read 35....huge difference. Aside from that, you should look for a big easy to read display and a metal cylinder. It's also nice to be able to source replacement parts.

If you got the money, a nicer pump will make life easier. If your trying to go cheap, make sure you also get a hand held gauge. They are like 10 bucks and allow for minor adjustments on the trail.

mtbr member
    I'm currently using the Joe Blow Mountain with no complaints. Seats my tubeless Conti Trail Kings with no problem. Usually runs around $40 to $50. That said, I'll probably get the Pro model next for the home and keep the Mtn in the trunk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Joe Blow Mountain recommended and used by the Niner demo crew for the Racing Ralphs on their bikes this summer.

mtbr member
    Another Joe Blow user here.
    Would recommend it any time!

duh
    I wouldn't use any thing else other then the joe blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Wyoming mtn. Biker
    Dec 2008
    For a mountain bike tire, I've had great luck with the Joe Blow Mountain........

Topeak, Silca, Lezyne. No particular order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Silca track pump, if you can still find one.

mtbr member
    i've been looking at all the joe blow pumps at:

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories

are there any advantages to metal to plastic smart twinheads?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trail Ninja
    +1 more recommendation for the Topeak JoeBlow Mountain. Prob the best floor pump for under $40.

I love Topeak's pump selection. I have the Topeak Morph Turbo "mini pump" and Topeak PocketShock DXG shock pump. I wouldn't mind trading them both for the new Topeak Shock N Roll though.

mtbr member
    Is the Joe Blow capable of seating tires on Stans rims or other tubeless setups?
    2015 Giant Anthem 29er
    2012 Trek Superfly Carbon HT

mtbr member
    I have the yellow Joe Blow Sport...works just fine and hits the 110 I need on my road bike. I have never spent tons on floor pumps, last one was a Performance special for $20 that lasted 10 years. The next pump I buy will be high volume to help with tubeless installs.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I have a SKS for around 20 years now and it never had a single issue.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    Is the Joe Blow capable of seating tires on Stans rims or other tubeless setups?
    See the Topeak Joe Blow Mountain. You trade the ability to inflate road tires to high pressure, but it has the ability to pump a high volume of air per pump, which is better for that task.

I also have a Performance Hurricane floor pump from '97 or so that's still in use that I use exclusively for my road tires, now that I have the JoeBlow Mountain for my mtb tires. I've been able to seat non tubeless tires on non-UST rims in tubeless fashion with difficulty with my Performance pump, but the Topeak one works so well that I don't need to bother with a compressor.

I recall a bike shop mechanic saying its (Topeak Joe Blow Mountain) his secret weapon for doing such a task easily. Same mechanic used to go through lots of floor pumps over the course of a year, particularly the Park Tools ones, and says he really likes the Topeak pumps better, though he does have a fondness for the Lenzyne ones, but those cost 2x more.

T.W.O.
    I wonder if any companies make a mountain bike specific pump. The one that does not requires a magnifying glass to see the psi. I'd get that. I don't need more than 70 psi on the gauge but I want it big and easy to read.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I just use some Schwinn, floor pump is found at Walmart for $25 or so. It has an easy to read psi gauge and it works just fine. I pump my tires up to about 60 psi and it doesn't take too long. Pretty easy. Cheap and effective.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I wonder if any companies make a mountain bike specific pump. The one that does not requires a magnifying glass to see the psi. I'd get that. I don't need more than 70 psi on the gauge but I want it big and easy to read.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Check out Lezyne, I think you'll like what they offer in their dirt pumps.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    thanks guys. i picked up the topeak joeblow mountain and damn its one good floor pump

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Topeak Joe Blow Mountain... review at REI says "Only pumps to 75 psi" (even though gauge reads 160psi... i'm looking for one for mtb & road

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast