1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: flite vs ace

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

flite vs ace

well the title says it all... I know they are completely differect bikes but i'd like to hear the pros and cons of each

flite http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-3.1.htm

ace http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-2.1.htm

i like both of these bikes and the $200 difference is ok with me but thats really the top of my price range, and I know these are 2 of the best bikes in that range, im just really stuck on if the flite is what I want, or if the more xc ace will be enough for me.

thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerocker1
    well the title says it all... I know they are completely differect bikes but i'd like to hear the pros and cons of each

flite http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-3.1.htm

ace http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-2.1.htm

i like both of these bikes and the $200 difference is ok with me but thats really the top of my price range, and I know these are 2 of the best bikes in that range, im just really stuck on if the flite is what I want, or if the more xc ace will be enough for me.

thanks for any input
    What kind of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i ride a lot of xc, but i'd like to try some more aggressive stuff. I just feel like the bike i bought to get into riding is limiting me now, and i dont want that to happen again. But of course im on a very low end bike so i know either of these will be a huge upgrade. I guess I'm not really awar of what the ace can handle vs the flite since i have limited experience with any full susp. bike

mtbr member
    I basically went for the Flite for the same reasons. Wanted a do-it-all bike that won't limit my progress as I start riding more aggressive. Can't say much about the Ace since I've never ridden one, but I like my Flite for what it is. It seems pretty tough and I like the components on it. I was worried about the Juicy 3's but after I got the bike and got them dialed I like them a lot. I switched the Domain fork on the Flite to a u-turn spring so I lower the travel to 140mm when I do more XC and climbing. The bike is mad fun when goin down...fast!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yeah thats exactly what I'm hoping for. was it hard/expensive to switch to a u turn? and whats the range of travel now?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 318 coil that comes with the Flite is a fixed travel fork. I'd call pricepoint and see if they'd swap out to the u-turn fork, which is 115-160. Can't hurt to ask.

If you get the fixed travel fork and upgrade later you can find the Domain U-turn fork for $500 or so. Figure out where you need to cut the steerer and get a shop to do that and set the star nut, the fork swap is easy. You'll get some money back on e-bay for the fixed travel fork.

As for your original question, I have no experience with either bike, the Flite seems well regarded. For trail riding more travel will equal more fun, IMO.

David B.

mtbr member
    yeah thats exactly what I'm hoping for. was it hard/expensive to switch to a u turn? and whats the range of travel now?
    The range is 115mm to 160mm which is more than enough. I'm at 140mm most of the time.

Swapping to a u-turn is very easy. I made a write-up in the suspension forum that tells you how to it and the parts you need.

Here's the link:

Rockshox Domain 318 U-turn Conversion Instructions

The stock Domain fork comes with a medium spring. If you get the bike, I would suggest seeing how you like the spring first. If you like the firmness, then you can order the u-turn spring with the same firmness. If it's too firm or too soft, you can order the u-turn spring accordingly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbeinct
    The 318 coil that comes with the Flite is a fixed travel fork. I'd call pricepoint and see if they'd swap out to the u-turn fork, which is 115-160. Can't hurt to ask.

If you get the fixed travel fork and upgrade later you can find the Domain U-turn fork for $500 or so. Figure out where you need to cut the steerer and get a shop to do that and set the star nut, the fork swap is easy. You'll get some money back on e-bay for the fixed travel fork.

As for your original question, I have no experience with either bike, the Flite seems well regarded. For trail riding more travel will equal more fun, IMO.

David B.
    I called pricepoint.com to inquire about swapping out the rear shock on the Sette Ace for something with a lockout feature. Unfortunately, they said the bikes were only available for purchase as is. So, I have to assume you will get the same answer regarding the front fork.

To the original poster, I am currently comparing the Ace and Flight as well. Something else you might want to consider that has not been mentioned yet is weight. The Flight weighs 34.8 lbs. The Ace weighs 29.8 lbs. Neither one is astonishly light, but there is ~5 lbs difference between the two.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide to buy.
    Last edited by NERVOUS; 04-01-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    JA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am not really too worried about weight, as I'm riding a hardtail that comes in at about 30 maybe a little over. I hear alot that the rear suspension, and much better suspension for that matter compared to mine, will make up for the couple added pounds.

Dictatorsaurus, if you dont mind my asking, what size did you get and how does it fit you?

mtbr member
    I am not really too worried about weight, as I'm riding a hardtail that comes in at about 30 maybe a little over. I hear alot that the rear suspension, and much better suspension for that matter compared to mine, will make up for the couple added pounds.

Dictatorsaurus, if you dont mind my asking, what size did you get and how does it fit you?
    I'm 6' and got the large. It fits me well. How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    im like 5'11". my 18" trek frame fits me well, but i'd like some more standover room

mtbr member
    im like 5'11". my 18" trek frame fits me well, but i'd like some more standover room
    I'd say the medium might fit you...Look up the chart and see what the ETT length is and compare it to your Trek.

I personally don't pay much attention to standover height. I'm more comfortable on bigger frames anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yeah medium looks pretty good to me... now to come up with the funds...