1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

flat pedal suggestions

I am very new to bicycles and dont know yet what are good/bad brands. Typically I buy the best bang for your buck type parts. I also have an entry level bike so dont need top of the line. 13 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er.

My current plastic pedals have some of the nubs sheered off them causing some grip issues. I would like something metal to try and prevent some of this in the future. Also on the metal flats are the nubs replaceable?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Most metal pedals have replaceable pins but not all. I have deity skyscrapers, dmr vaults, xpedo hurtle curve, blackspire, and canfield crampons. I like the deity's , dmr's and the canfield s the best but they are all higher priced pedals.

mtbr member
    It's hard to beat Wellgo MG1 for price and durability. Can be had all day off ebay for round 40 bucks shipped.
    Atomlabs Pimplites are my fav and the older design are great too, and if you can find em should be pretty cheap.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I purchased these about a month ago and am very happy with them so far. My feet stick to them like glue
    Amazon.com: Diamondback Sound Pedal, pack of 2: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    go with the best of the best - canfield bros crampton magnesium.

i love mines!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flat pedal suggestions-img_0685.jpg  

flat pedal suggestions-img_0692.jpg  

flat pedal suggestions-img_0691.jpg  

flat pedal suggestions-img_0687.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    There is a similar thread in the Speshy forum. You can get good entry-level pedals for $40.

New cycles coming... Question about pedals...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    It's hard to beat Wellgo MG1 for price and durability. Can be had all day off ebay for round 40 bucks shipped.
    Atomlabs Pimplites are my fav and the older design are great too, and if you can find em should be pretty cheap.
    +1 for Wellgo,

I have been using them for years with no problems at all. Very durable.

B42
    mtbr member

flat pedal suggestions

Find some with metal replaceable pins. All others will eventually wear down and provide no traction. Several friends of mine have worn off fixed pins in under 2 years with very limited riding (we do have lots of abrasive mud). The one down side is the scaring you get on your shins and calves from the pins... I'm nursing a deep one now.

Outside of that, look for some that look good and match your bike.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Yes like B42above said, You need pedals with replaceable pins, and a tough body. Not pedals where the grip pin is moulded into the body of the pedal. I prefer buying aluminium pedals they are tougher than magnesium. Magnesium is softer so it depends on what you are riding. I have tried many pedals high-end and cheap. My favourites so far are these, they are a reasonable price but have a high-end finish. They also have pins that screw in from the back so they can be replaced easily if ripped out.
    Moove Components Torque Thru-pin flat pedals for MTB, DH, XC anodised red purple black green low price Moove Mtb

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all the responses and information. I really appreciate it.

Yeah those canfields look freaking amazing! But are just too much for what I am looking for. $200 pedals on a $700 bike I just cant justify.

The Wellgo's and Moove's look great also. I am going with the Wellgo's because I can find them locally.

Thanks again for all your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have Wellgo B103 and they have actual studs instead of just allen head bolts like the MG1. The B103s have taken quite a beating already and keep on going with no issues. I recently bought a pair of MG-1s to put on another bike I bought and so far I'm not impressed. The bolts are too short and the painted coating flakes off almost by just looking at it; maybe i just got a bad set.

B42
    mtbr member

flat pedal suggestions

flat pedal suggestions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373424901.056168.jpg still nursing this. Keep your feet on those flats.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: flat pedal suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by B42 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373424901.056168.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	814858 still nursing this. Keep your feet on those flats.
    This just happened to me today

It hurts! I bought some shin and knee pads right after this haha they don't help for the rear of my legs though! Is there any pedals that aren't so sharp!?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    You want them to be sharp so they grip your shoe. Are you using shoes like 5.10s?

I think everyone tears their leg up during their transition to flats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    You want them to be sharp so they grip your shoe. Are you using shoes like 5.10s?

I think everyone tears their leg up during their transition to flats.
    Nah I was just wearing vans. I'm barely getting into the sport so I haven't gotten all my gear yet

mtbr member
    my canfield bro chewed me up also. i now wear g-form knee and shin guards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B42
    mtbr member

flat pedal suggestions

I was wearing 5-10s, and had shin guards on (damage is on back of my leg). I was actually just adjusting the gear between runs in a DH park, not even really riding when this happened.

For the OP, I use flats called Bulletproof BMX. Sure they are heavy, but have held up well, have replaceable pins, and are inexpensive (I think $40 ish).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    go with the best of the best - canfield bros crampton magnesium.

i love mines!

You're a tool and yes I neg repped you. Only a ******* recommends pedals that cost almost as much as the bike.

BTW I ride the Mag Ultimates myself, but next time read the post first, before just posting what I use is the best for you.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    dude, calm down... its just a friggin forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You're a tool and yes I neg repped you. Only a ******* recommends pedals that cost almost as much as the bike.

BTW I ride the Mag Ultimates myself, but next time read the post first, before just posting what I use is the best for you.

mtbr member
    Hi, also a noob here w/ an entry level bike as well. You could try this one. It's cheaper and lighter than the Wellgo Mg-1.

ROCKBROS Bike Pedals MTB BMX Pedals Cycling Pedals 9 16" Aluminium New Gray | eBay

You can also check the seller's other listing for a different design and color.

mtbr member
    FWIW my first flats were DMR V8's. Picked them up off of ebay for about $30 with shipping. They are a really decent pedal with 4 replaceable pins on each side the remaining pins are fixed. For the price its hard to beat.

Level 5 Rider!
    LOL I just have cheapo plastic pedals and my pair of running shoes... for some reason (now that I know what I am doing with my feet on bumps) they stick like glue. Hopefully they will stay grippy for awhile as I love the feel of my running shoes and I have a few other things I would like to buy before getting new pedals... I am sure I will eventually get some new ones and would eventually like to try the oddly named clipless style. (and yes I know the back story of the clipless name)
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    I ride XPEDO Face Off and I rather enjoy them

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member

I just snagged some azonic switchbacks for $75 on back country. They are on clearance for 50% off. I have one ride in on them and am impressed so far.

--
    Stephen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast