1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Flat Pedal Recommendations

My feet keep slipping off the factory pedals that came with my bike. Looking for flat pedal recommendations, my feet are relatively small women's shoe size 7.5. Wanting to spend in the price range of $100?

I am also just wearing my trail running shoes to mountain bike in, not sure if that is an issue or not.

Thanks in advance!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Are you totally set on running flats or would clipless be an option?
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2421/2500

mtbr member
    For $100 you will get some better recommendations, but I am running Wellgo MG-1's with a mild low top hiking shoe, not boot, and have not had an issue.

Most people will tell you to go with Five-Tens, which looks like a skate shoe and will have more grip on the pedals... or go to clipless pedals. I like the hiking shoe for better grip when I have to hike through a section. At my age and ability, it is what it is.

If you stay with platforms, you may want to do it in stages. Get a good pedal, try it out with your shoes and then change shoes if necessary.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Diety Compounds are great pedals, and about $50, but large, may be too big for your foot.

I tried a set of AEST butterfly pedals:

AEST Bike MTB Magnesium Pedals Platform CNC Steel Axle 9 16" Black | eBay

way to small for my foot, and a solid rock-stike smashed them (I weigh 190lbs), if you don't tend to hit your pedals, could be a good option. they had good grip before they died, plus they're light as hell. Watch ebay and you can get them for $10.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cowarch View Post
    I am also just wearing my trail running shoes to mountain bike in, not sure if that is an issue or not.
    Yep, riding flats without sticky rubber bike specific shoes (5.10's) in my opinion is the same as riding clipless pedals with your gym shoes on. I rocked flats for many years with Diety Decoy's and 5.10 Impact Low's and LOVED the combo. I rode it a few times with regular shoes and there is a HUGE difference.
    -- Bikes are effin cool --

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Spend the $100 on shoes. I've got great platform pedals (canfield crampons); but the handful of times I've had to ride with my running shoes, they've been terrible.

Unless you are making full contact with the platform -- i.e., completely flat soles -- even the very best pedals are going to suck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Are you totally set on running flats or would clipless be an option?
    Yeah I'm pretty set on flat pedals, I want the comfort knowing I can step off easily & quickly! Still quite new to mountain biking!
    I heard something about crank brothers, how it un-clips super easy with a few degrees of twist?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Any recommendations for shoes? I've found it hard to find in such small sizes I would need a men's size 5.5 or 6. Hmm sounds like a good shoe and some decent flat pedals will do me good.

Go Speed Racer
    Yeah I'm pretty set on flat pedals, I want the comfort knowing I can step off easily & quickly! Still quite new to mountain biking!
    I heard something about crank brothers, how it un-clips super easy with a few degrees of twist?
    I think you are making the right decision. I went down a similar path as you. People are quick to push beginners and people fairly new to the sport to Clipless, and I think that turns a lot of people off to the sport. At your level you will be better on flats (IMO). If you decide to try clipless DO NOT start with crank brothers. They are not adjustable (tension) and when the cleats are new they are VERY difficult to unclip on (especially for learning). Get the Shimano SPD pedals, and do not use the cleats that come with them, get the multi-release cleats, and turn the tension all the way down (-) on the pedals. VERY easy to unclip without thinking about it. Just about the same as flats. Then as you get more comfortable turn up the tension one click at a time.

Anyway, for now I would stick with the flats until you feel they are holding you back (which may or may not happen - for me getting into racing was what pushed me over the edge into clipless).

Go Speed Racer
    Any recommendations for shoes? I've found it hard to find in such small sizes I would need a men's size 5.5 or 6. Hmm sounds like a good shoe and some decent flat pedals will do me good.
    And I thought I had small feet! It looks like 5.10 makes them in your size, you just have to find them Five Ten - Freerider VXi - Charcoal / Grey Perhaps your local shop can order them for you... I found their sizing to be pretty spot on... I usually wear 8-8.5 US and their size 8's fit me perfect.

When you put those shoes on, and some good flat pedals with pins on your bike, you will be amazed. Have fun

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You don't need special shoes unless you are riding fast downhill or big jumps.
    Use 5.10s and longer sharp pin flats for that terrain.
    Stubby or rounded pin pedals work fine with runners. I've used them forever.
    You first off need technique.

He goes into the "low heels" technique part way through. Practice that with your existing pedals and shoes for improvement. A bump won't bounce you off. It will push the pedal into your shoe. Also look at his vid on cornering.

These are light and thin.

Flat Pedal Recommendations-origin8.jpg

These Wellgo B143 have stubby pins.
    Name:  B143 wellgo.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  7.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks guys!

I think I'm gonna look more into the Wellgo B143 pedals and practice my technique!

Maybe invest in some shoes later on!

mtbr member
    I've ridden thousands of miles on decent flat pedals with just hiking shoes on. Not a big deal at all -- worked just fine. I only recently purchased a pair of biking-specific five10 shoes. Yes, they are better, but the difference isn't huge in all honesty. If dropping $100 on shoes isn't a big deal, then yes, go that route. If not, get some decent pedals and ride in shoes you have. Good pedals pedals will do more for you than shoes will -- stock pedals are almost certainly junk!

I have Blackspire Big Slims on my bike right now. Got 'em on sale for $50 or $60. They work fine, but there are a bunch of options out there.

And you are wise not to jump to clipless right away. IMO, any advantages offered by clipless pedals would only be attained by a fairly skilled rider. The last thing a beginner needs to worry about is their pedals (on top of all the other things coming at you).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You don't have to spend $100 on shoes. Check for 5.10 on sale, check their web site for close out. Do a seqrch on mtbr for flat pdal shoes, you should fined a number of recs. for under $100.

The shoes can make a huge difference, along with tchnique. For pedals, it is really hard to beat th deity compound pedals for grip and price.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Flat Pedal Recommendations

I just got the lowest entry cost 5.10s I could find (Spitfire shoe) and some $50 Wellgo pedals off eBay. Not sure what difference the more expensive 5.10s would make, but the Spitfires work pretty darn well themselves. So I spent about $100 total for pedals AND shoes and love the results so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    might not be the greatest but they worked well for me + skate shoes..

Black Ops Grip N Rip Platform Pedals Black 9 16 BMX | eBay

mtbr member
    I can't vouch for the quality of these, but they seem decent at a killer price.

Pedals

Trail Noob
    For me, speaking from personal experience, a pair of indoor soccer shoes and some decent platforms with pins works pretty well. I wear a pair of Adidas Samba with some Wellgo MG52 pedals. If you have a pair of flat-soled shoes, get some good pedals and go from there.

Wellgo MG-52 Platform Pedals | Wellgo (444 grams per pair)

Wellgo B184 Flat Pedals | Wellgo (350 grams per pair)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Giant View Post
    For me, speaking from personal experience, a pair of indoor soccer shoes and some decent platforms with pins works pretty well. I wear a pair of Adidas Samba with some Wellgo MG52 pedals. If you have a pair of flat-soled shoes, get some good pedals and go from there.
    Awesome I actually have a pair of Samba's as well! The current trail shoes I am riding with aren't fully flat bottomed! Thanks for the tip!

Can you feel the spikes on your feet when wearing indoor soccer shoes? Some of the soles on those shoes are pretty thin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i love the race face flats,paired with 5 ten sneakers.