1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Fixing Fizik saddle

One of the rails popped out of my Fizik saddle, anyone know the technique to this? I've tried bending and twisting.

Probably drunk right now

Probably...

Quote Originally Posted by WillT View Post
    One of the rails popped out of my Fizik saddle, anyone know the technique to this? I've tried bending and twisting.
    You're probably looking at a new saddle. Hard to get it back in without unstitching and restitching the leather.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    You're probably looking at a new saddle. Hard to get it back in without unstitching and restitching the leather.
    Agreed, in my experience it is nearly impossible to put rails back into their retainers. And, in the event that you wrestled it back in successfully you've stretched and fatigued the saddle so much that it will likely pop back out in a ride or two.

Sorry to say you're looking at a new saddle.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Three of my many selle Italia "Flite's" came my way because nobody was able to fix them, one note this only works on Titanium rails since they are springy, I used a Park pedal wrench to "Bow" the rails inwards making their distance shorter and then sticking the rail back into the saddle, basically you use the edges of the wrench as a big lever arm.

Sorry I don't have that wrench anymore if not I take a picture of the procedure, needless to say the saddle are working fine for many years..

mtbr member
    I did the same thing with a retrospec saddle. After I got it back the rail back in, it would come out every other ride. I really liked that saddle too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Contact the manufacture some of them have some kind of program for repair or replacement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Contact the manufacture some of them have some kind of program for repair or replacement.
    Has anyone heard of Fizik repairing/replacing saddles? I know they're an Italian company, so I'm assuming no.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    That would be going WAY out of the way for a saddle, saddles can be pretty in-expensive.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    I managed to force a rail back into a saddle where the same happened to me and, like MTBerNick's experience, the saddle rail would then pop out quite regularly, leaving me with a broken saddle mid-ride. My recommendation is, unfortunately, to buy a new saddle.

mtbr member
    Question to the OP, how did you pop the rail out?

I was riding with 3 friends and I was in front on a climb, I lost traction and stopped, I was trying to get out of the way of the guy behind me and I tripped over my bike, dropping it, when I tried to pick it up I tripped again, stepping on the saddle ripping the rail out, it sucked.

Probably drunk right now
    Has anyone heard of Fizik repairing/replacing saddles? I know they're an Italian company, so I'm assuming no.
    Did you buy it locally or online?

If local, ask your shop. If online, well.... You got it cheap.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My rail popped out when I ate it hitting a jump. I'd upload the picture of the bruise but I doubt any of you want to see the side of my ass...
    Anyways, I fixed it. I took a razor blade and cut 2/3 in the rail holder about 1/3 down from the top. Took a rubber mallet to it and it popped right in. I've tried everything to pull it out. I don't ride gently, I put it in a bench vice and yanked with all my strength. I think I'm good to go. I'll get some feed back when I get my bike on Friday.

mtbr member
    My rail popped out when I ate it hitting a jump. I'd upload the picture of the bruise but I doubt any of you want to see the side of my ass...
    Anyways, I fixed it. I took a razor blade and cut 2/3 in the rail holder about 1/3 down from the top. Took a rubber mallet to it and it popped right in. I've tried everything to pull it out. I don't ride gently, I put it in a bench vice and yanked with all my strength. I think I'm good to go. I'll get some feed back when I get my bike on Friday.
    Well done, and good luck.

Thread Killer
    This has happened to me a couple of times due to pilot errors on 2 different saddles. both saddles were flexible enough that a bench vise and crescent wrench allowed me to pop the rail back into place with minimal "massaging" of the seat rail to get the saddle back level. I've read while doing a search that someone suggests using a hot knife or soldering iron (a heat gun at the right distance away may also work)to melt a slot so the rail will go in and then melt the plastic back around the rail. I've used a heat gun to repair dirt bike and atv plastics before. Since you've cut away part of the rail holder you could use some epoxy/ plastic repair around it if it gets out again. Good luck!
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Found an easy way with my WTB Rocket V race

Weird backward fall with this saddle popped out my Ti rails - end of ride and a long way pedaling standing up to the car….not an “on-the-trail” fix

I bought the saddle as a takeoff on Ebay and did not use it for a few years, so WTB declined to help. After reading the advice and trying a few big wrenches, I found an easy way to do it using a large flat head screwdriver.

1. Place the saddle upside down on a firm counter-top, and insert the nose part of the rails into the saddle.
    2. Place the screwdriver at about a 30 degree angle with the blade just above the hole.
    3. Position one rail high up on the flat part of screwdriver blade, then slowly slide and guide the rail downward vertically until it finds the hole.
    4. Repeat for second rail.

I had to angle the screwdriver a bit to get it started, but I could lever it a little toward the end. I’d bet a steel putty knife would work too , as long as you didn't flex it until the rail was very close to the hole. The second rail had to move further, and took a little more force, but total force was surprisingly little.
    I was so happy to get it done and save a hundred bucks. I have not ridden it yet, but if it is a problem, I’ll report back. I hope this solution works for you!