1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: First Wreck

mtbr member
    May 2008

First Wreck

I am finally a man. I decided to have some fun and go over the bars today. Caught my pedal on a root and everything just stopped, but I kept going. Ended up having the bike land on me too. All in all me and the baby are ok. good thing there wern't many people around to witness my foolery.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Welcome. You are now officially a mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    Welcome. You are now officially a mountain biker.
    i thought that happened when you had your first slow speed fall when learning to use clipless

Glad you are ok JZ
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The whole thing about doing an endo is the fall zone. I've had made share, I think 3, and 2 I came out o.k. even though one time I did take a real shot in a sensitive area with the top tube (no permanent damage fortunately). But one endo for me was in an area with a lot of small rocks--there were no broken bones but those cuts and scrapes hurt real bad and my kids were crying and begging me to stop mountain biking because they thought I was going to end up killing myself.

Let's all ride hard and pray for good "fall zones."

Suffers From Binge Biking
    I had my first real fall a couple weeks ago too I was trying to figure out how to clear a log pile without my chainrings bashing into the peak of the pyramid, so I lifted up on my back wheel as I went over. It worked... a little too well. It landed my right in a thorn bush I was picking thorns out of my the rest of the ride. So, welcome to the club!

P.S.- any tips on how to clear log piles without bashing the chainring? It's on a slight downhill path.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Hey! Watch This!
    I endo'd one time and got stuck upside down in a cedar tree.

Good times; good times...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I endo'd yesterday when i went down this nasty hill on an atv trail and the bottom i didn't really see was a mess of fallen logs that had just been run over by the atvs so many times that they could get over it but i got stuck and it just happened. I also don't understand why the ATVers think if part of a trail washes out to just throw SAND in it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh rider
    P.S.- any tips on how to clear log piles without bashing the chainring? It's on a slight downhill path.
    J-Hop it. Watch this trailer for this superb instructional video. It's about 3/4 of the way into the trailer and you'll see a very efficient j-hop over a log. I bought this video from Amazon for $23 shipped. Worth every dime and much more.

http://fluidride.com/2008/03/26/flui...e-a-pro-video/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hehe, I went OTB for the first time in awhile just two days ago. I was going across a little bridge after a sharp turn when my front wheel went off the edge and landed on my hands and head in a dry creek bed. Nothing hurt but pride and I was covered in stupid sand for the rest of the ride.