1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44

    first trip back to LBS....

    So, I've put my new bike through it's paces for about 4 weeks....I've pretty much ridden everyday, and only managed to break a crank arm! Some one told me that I should bring the bike back in 30days from purchase, so that the LBS can do a "tune up" or just do a once over on the bike. Is that right?

    What should I be asking about? What should I be on the look out for as in terms of them actually servicing the bike? The only thing I noticed so far is that the brake cables seem to be stretching a little bit, and the front deraulier is making alot of noise....I've always cleaned my bike after rides, and lubed in appropriate locations....soooo.......what's the word?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,134
    Watch them set up and tune the FD and The RD, watch and ask what they are checking as they go thought the bike, it will only take a good tech a minute or two to do a really good once over.

    one of my LBS does this on a stand out in the customer service area, so people can learn.

  3. #3
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    A once over usually includes tuning of the brakes and derailleurs, trueing of the wheels and check of the wear of the chain.

    At least that's what a full once-over is at my LBS.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    18
    I have a related question. I bought my bike on April 7th but haven't really had a chance to ride it very much (probably only 20-30 miles so far). I have been training for a marathon which I'm running this Sunday so I didn't want to overdo it since I haven't ridden in a really long time. Anyway, should I still bring the bike in for the check-up or is it not really worth it until I rack up some more miles? The bike store isn't close to me at all so I probably wouldn't be able to bring it in again until early August. Is that too late?

  5. #5
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Frump
    I have a related question. I bought my bike on April 7th but haven't really had a chance to ride it very much (probably only 20-30 miles so far). I have been training for a marathon which I'm running this Sunday so I didn't want to overdo it since I haven't ridden in a really long time. Anyway, should I still bring the bike in for the check-up or is it not really worth it until I rack up some more miles? The bike store isn't close to me at all so I probably wouldn't be able to bring it in again until early August. Is that too late?
    It's more about the mileage than the time, so it's fine that you don't bring it back just yet. Wait until something start not feeling right, no point in bringing in a bike that is in perfect working order.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutGT
    So, I've put my new bike through it's paces for about 4 weeks....I've pretty much ridden everyday, and only managed to break a crank arm! Some one told me that I should bring the bike back in 30days from purchase, so that the LBS can do a "tune up" or just do a once over on the bike. Is that right?

    What should I be asking about? What should I be on the look out for as in terms of them actually servicing the bike? The only thing I noticed so far is that the brake cables seem to be stretching a little bit, and the front deraulier is making alot of noise....I've always cleaned my bike after rides, and lubed in appropriate locations....soooo.......what's the word?
    It is normal for cables to stretch on a new bicycle, that is one of the reasons for the 30 day tune-up. It's an easy fix. If it is even a half decent bike shop, they will let you watch.

    Front deraileurs go out of adjustment sometimes too, but it may just be a weird chainring/cog combination that is causing the noise. This is actually one of the biggest gripes I have with my bicycle. Adjustment of the "H L" screws is a good thing to learn.

    You only get ONE 30 day tune-up so make it count. You've already paid for it when you purchased the bike. Make a list ahead of time and don't be afraid to bug them with your questions!

    Good luck
    LOC

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftOfCenter
    It is normal for cables to stretch on a new bicycle, that is one of the reasons for the 30 day tune-up. It's an easy fix. If it is even a half decent bike shop, they will let you watch.

    Front deraileurs go out of adjustment sometimes too, but it may just be a weird chainring/cog combination that is causing the noise. This is actually one of the biggest gripes I have with my bicycle. Adjustment of the "H L" screws is a good thing to learn.

    You only get ONE 30 day tune-up so make it count. You've already paid for it when you purchased the bike. Make a list ahead of time and don't be afraid to bug them with your questions!

    Good luck
    LOC
    I got 1 year free maintence and servicing at my LBS, the guy said I could bring it in anytime for them to look at, but I am guessing that was just a selling point to get me to buy the bike....I've already taken it back once because I broke one of the crank arms within 3 days of owning the bank

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,671

    If you have a year of free tune ups....

    take advantage of it! It's not just a selling point if you use it! Cables don't actually stretch so to speak, the braiding of the cable actually tightens which causes them to lengthen slightly. This causes misadjustment of the brakes and derailleurs. I the boadest sense of the word it can be called cable stretch. Anyway it's the reason that most shops offer at least a free 30 day check up. Our check up at the shop consists of derailleur and brake checks and adjustment, wheel check for true, hub check for adjustment, headset check (the bearings do settle in with use and can need adjustment), and a check of crank bolt torque, plus a general inspection of the bike. We may lube the chain and derialleur pivot points if needed as well.

    You shouldn't have to make a list. Just tell them you need a check up and adjustment. They should hit everything. If you want to get specific about the brakes and front D that's fine.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    take advantage of it! It's not just a selling point if you use it! Cables don't actually stretch so to speak, the braiding of the cable actually tightens which causes them to lengthen slightly. This causes misadjustment of the brakes and derailleurs. I the boadest sense of the word it can be called cable stretch. Anyway it's the reason that most shops offer at least a free 30 day check up. Our check up at the shop consists of derailleur and brake checks and adjustment, wheel check for true, hub check for adjustment, headset check (the bearings do settle in with use and can need adjustment), and a check of crank bolt torque, plus a general inspection of the bike. We may lube the chain and derialleur pivot points if needed as well.

    You shouldn't have to make a list. Just tell them you need a check up and adjustment. They should hit everything. If you want to get specific about the brakes and front D that's fine.

    Good Dirt

    thanks for the info squash!

    and thanks to everyone else!

    I'm probably gonna put in maybe 50 more miles, and then take it to the LBS since it's a little bit of a drive

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •