mtbr member
    Apr 2015

First Trail Ride!

Why the hell did I wait 38 years to start doing this?

I spent about 2 hours riding a "blue" trail today (I assume that means easy). I am blown away at how much fun it was. I started slow, and by the time I was done I was moving a lot faster. I ventured off onto a black trail for a while and actually really enjoyed it, but at one point I kind of snapped out of it and thought "what the hell am I doing?"

I have to learn to dial back a couple of things in order to progress my skills (namely, I like to go fast, and I have a hard time not physically pushing myself to momentary muscle failure).

Mountain biking is $#@%ing awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Typically green = beginner, blue = intermediate, black = advanced, red = downhill only. If you have the fitness to ride, ride the most challenging stuff you're comfortable with and you'll have the most fun and progress the fastest you can in my opinion. I wrecked a LOT the first year I started to ride, and recommend that you learn to wipe out gracefully as your first major skill (know when not to extend limbs and how to roll into a wreck, also how to throw your bike away if it means a better wreck).

mtbr member
    Welcome! Share some pics if you get a chance.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdblue View Post
    Mountain biking is $#@%ing awesome!
    Seconded.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Sounds like a blast! What trails/part of the country are you riding in? Just got out last week for the first time and had a blast too

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Welcome! Share some pics if you get a chance.
    The only pic I have so far. Rockhopper Sport 29er, hated the color originally but it was the only color the shop had, and it was on sale. It's actually growing on me a little.

First Trail Ride!-specialized.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Mountain biking is a lot of fun but know your limits. The last thing you want is an injury that ends your ride. Even experienced riders gets injured and a crash can happen in a split second. Sometimes there's not enough time to tuck and roll or land feet first if you're clipped in. That's when a sprained shoulder or a faceplant is unavoidable. I had my first crash last week when I endo'ed on a slow descend. I veered off the singletrack and the front wheel caught something in the grassy area. I went over the bars but*I was able to tuck and roll. I landed on my hydration pack but it still kind of hurt. Felt it the next day.

Back in February I pushed myself to near failure on my 3rd ride. It was around 2pm, sunny and 85 that day. About an hour into the ride I was exhausted but I didn't want to stop. Halfway up a mile long ascend my legs were weak as hell, I was dizzy and felt like puking. The weird thing is I wasnt sweating. It was probably the beginning signs of heat stroke or dehydration. That's when I decided to call it in, turn around and coasted back down until I found some shades under a tree. The descend with the wind in my face was really rejuvenating. Gave me enough strength to ride back to the car 2 miles away.