mtbr member
    Oct 2005

First time using a trainer!

Please let me know what affordable wheel and tire I could use for a trainer. I'm currently using Crossmax SL with disc and RR 2.1 UST. I haven't tried to use or ride a trainer before so I have no idea exactly the things I need other than buying these components:
    1) .new wheel
    2). disc
    3). tire
    4). trainer

Your suggestions is much appreciated. Ride safe!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't know much about that stuff, but i do know that the tires will wear more on a trainer than if you ride them on the road.
    My local bike shop holder told my brother (who has a trainer) to take a cheap tire because of the wear. If you use the tire only for the trainer i would choose a cheap one. If you use the training tire also for outside riding, choose a more quality tire (for example http://www.schwalbe.com):)

hoped to be some sort of help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Strictly speaking most any wheel will work. I would by the cheapest disk compatible wheel I can find. A brake is not necessary but I find it helpful when mounting and dismounting the bike. For a tire use the smoothest thinnest slick (Specialized Fatboy works really well and is inexpensive)you can find (heavy tread patterns do not last, are noisy, and make a mess as they throw rubber shavings everywhere). Trainers are more a personal choice, they all work but some have some nicer features then others. I have used the Minoura tire drive trainer and for an affordable basic trainer it works well. The fluid trainers with a remote to adjust resistance are really nice but tend to be pricier.