1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

First time using a trainer!

Please let me know what affordable wheel and tire I could use for a trainer. I'm currently using Crossmax SL with disc and RR 2.1 UST. I haven't tried to use or ride a trainer before so I have no idea exactly the things I need other than buying these components:
    1) .new wheel
    2). disc
    3). tire
    4). trainer

Your suggestions is much appreciated. Ride safe!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't know much about that stuff, but i do know that the tires will wear more on a trainer than if you ride them on the road.
    My local bike shop holder told my brother (who has a trainer) to take a cheap tire because of the wear. If you use the tire only for the trainer i would choose a cheap one. If you use the training tire also for outside riding, choose a more quality tire (for example http://www.schwalbe.com):)

hoped to be some sort of help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Strictly speaking most any wheel will work. I would by the cheapest disk compatible wheel I can find. A brake is not necessary but I find it helpful when mounting and dismounting the bike. For a tire use the smoothest thinnest slick (Specialized Fatboy works really well and is inexpensive)you can find (heavy tread patterns do not last, are noisy, and make a mess as they throw rubber shavings everywhere). Trainers are more a personal choice, they all work but some have some nicer features then others. I have used the Minoura tire drive trainer and for an affordable basic trainer it works well. The fluid trainers with a remote to adjust resistance are really nice but tend to be pricier.