1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

First time MT Buyer

Hi All,

I am looking at getting into mountain biking. I will be using it for trail riding through forests.

I Am a little bit torn between getting a second hand Cube Ltd Pro 2012 or a new Marin Bobcat 2013.

Any advice would be appreciated as i feel like a fish out of water right now!

Thanks

mtbr member
    If the price(and condition) is the same, I would go with the Cube. It has much better components

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The dual air Reba fork on the Cube is easily three levels better.
    But ride some 29ers for a little more perspective.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi thanks for your responses. So after work I went to check out some 29ers, now I find myself in even more of a predicament. I rode a whyte model. I found it quicker but felt like I would have less control. Maybe this is because I've never riden a 29er before.

What are people's thoughts on 29er vs 26?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    29ers have been going through refinement and development. So there will be differences between the bikes from various manufacturers. Try a Trek X-Cal and Scott Scale 950 or the lower versions. They have slacker head tube angles and shorter chainstays. And try the Cube models and look at the Grand Canyon 29 al 7.9 and CF SLX 8.9 which is currently sold out but an excellent long term value

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will check them out... Would you say 29ers are the way forward then? What can they offer that a 26 can't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scurtis7 View Post
    I will check them out... Would you say 29ers are the way forward then? What can they offer that a 26 can't?
    Do some searches on the forum and Google. There is about 1 year worth of reading that you can check out.
    The different wheel sizes all have their own pros and cons (26, 27.5, 29)

mtbr member
    For the type of riding you describe a 29er is probably the best option. That said I agree with moefosho... do some research and test rides.