1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

First Short Ride

Ok, so I finally had a chance to take a ride on some dirt trails. Nothing major just some trails and roads by my house, deserty stuff, no boulders or roots, but kinda sandy and some grades as steep as maybe 10% or so. I didn't try any jumps or drop offs, but I did get a little squirley on some of the faster turns at the bottom of the grades. All I can say is it was definitely more work than the MUPs I've been on but the adrenaline rush feeling that back tire break loose a little was way cool. The bike performed well, definitely beyond my level of riding at this point. hahahhahha.

Jimbo

Level 5 Rider!
    Awesome. I just got off pavement myself a little while ago. And yeah it kicked my butt and made me realize how much more conditioning I need to do still. lol. That adrenaline of going fast in the loose and bumpy stuff is so much fun though.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals