1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: First Road Bike

mtbr member

First Road Bike

I recently bought a new xc hardtail (giant xtc), started waking up at 5am and going for a 25km+ ride every morning. Now my dad's getting interested in the sport and is looking for a good entry level road bike. The ones that I've found so far are:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...nue_b.htm#size

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...nue_a.htm#size

They're both $300 which is pretty much as high as he's willing to go. Here's where I need your help though, I know nothing about the specs on a road bike, even my knowledge of mountain bikes is limited so I need to know which bike has better specs. Also, my dad is 6'5 and I'm not sure if the 58cm frame will be large enough even if the size chart says the 58cm frame is good for riders 6'3-6'7. And finally, do you know of any other bikes in that price range? I'm willing to buy used and online but it needs to be the appropriate size!

Thanks
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that the Avenue B retails for more than the Avenue A but is the same price on Bikesdirect.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Feral Roadie
    Fit is everything on a road bike. If you're not comfortable, you won't stick with riding. There's nothing terribly wrong with the components on that bike[1], but I find it hard to imagine a 6'5"
    guy is going to be very comfortable on that frame. Especially if he's not done much riding.

Once you get significantly over 6 feet, off the shelf bikes are going to need some swapping of stems and such to get a good fit. But at $300 you aren't going to find much choice at a bike shop that can help you with the fit issues.

You could buy it and try it, but if your dad gets into it at all, he'll want a better bike eventually. You could look used, but finding something in your dad's size will take a while.

You're unlikely to find anything cheaper than Bikes Direct for a new bike, but I think buying from them for your first bike isn't such a great idea.

- Booker C. Bense

[1]- Well, the stem shifters are evil, but at that price it's about as good as you can expect.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    I recently bought a new xc hardtail (giant xtc), started waking up at 5am and going for a 25km+ ride every morning. Now my dad's getting interested in the sport and is looking for a good entry level road bike. The ones that I've found so far are:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...nue_b.htm#size

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...nue_a.htm#size

They're both $300 which is pretty much as high as he's willing to go. Here's where I need your help though, I know nothing about the specs on a road bike, even my knowledge of mountain bikes is limited so I need to know which bike has better specs. Also, my dad is 6'5 and I'm not sure if the 58cm frame will be large enough even if the size chart says the 58cm frame is good for riders 6'3-6'7. And finally, do you know of any other bikes in that price range? I'm willing to buy used and online but it needs to be the appropriate size!

Thanks
    He probably should be on a 60 or 62cm frame, I would suggest sourcing a used road bike locally so it can be tried on for fit.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys, the size issue was what concerned me most. I'm thinking of just going into the lbs where I bought my bike and having him test out a few 58cm bikes to see if it is in fact too small.

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er