1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

First ride on the new 29er

So, I took my first ride on the my new 29er last night and stepped away with some first impressions. They are:

1. It's a monster and I felt like I was just cruising half the time, and slowpoking the the other half. Once I get used to it, I'm going to fly.

2. Trails I once rated in my head as intermediate suddenly became easy. Trails I had rated in my head easy have now become pedestrian.

3. The ride was so smooth I am now excited/scared about what the heck I'm going to be able to do on this thing in the future.

The whole experience on this bike was mindblowing to me. We started out and some first impressions for me was just how freaking big it felt. I had been riding a 16-inch frame 26 inch bike. My new one is an 18-inch 29er. Another significant change is how I ride. On my old Nishiki Pinnacle, you ride it more forward kind of in a racy position. On this bike, I'm much more upright. It's a lot, lot, lot more comfortable. But at first I felt like I was on some big Clydesdale tromping through the woods. It just felt "big" and I kept thinking I was taking up the whole trail with my bike. I also at first had a few problems picking my lines because I kept thinking, jeez the bike is so big the whole frigging trail is my line.

The first part of the ride was mostly a lot of climbing. It handled it with no problems. I was barely breathing hard in place a week ago would have been tearing me up on my old bike. I was riding with two buddies and I had to keep holding back because I felt like I was going to run right over the person leading us.

Finally, we got to a downhill portion. I took the lead on this decided I was going to open it up and see what it had. I shifted to a lower gear and it was history. I still felt like I was just cruising, but I never saw my buddies again until the end of the trail. I kept looking around, but never saw them.

At one point, I got a little cocky and saw a berm I usually jump. The problem is, I usually hit it going from the other direction, not the the direction we were going. I came up on it and realized too late that the other side of that berm was flat as a pancake. I hit it, stopped and fell right over and landed on some English Ivy. I wiggled around like a whale for a few seconds and then decided I would wait on my friends. A guy came by asked if I was okay, and I said, "Yeah, I'm just laying here with my cockiness." He laughed and said he had done that before. Got the bike up and rode the rest of the way back in.

I ended up standing at the end of the trail for about 5 minutes before my buddies showed up.

Wow. This new bike is a monster.
    You're not one with nature until you eat it.

Bike: 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

mtbr member
    Welcome to 29erland.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Welcome to the world of 29ers I rode 26ers most of my life, then came the 29er and I never looked back, although my duty bike is still a 26er, but I only use it on paved roads, sidewalks, and other paved terrain so not a big deal.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Just go easy on your ride buddies. You don't want to make them feel bad and, more importantly, don't let them cotton on so they remove your new advantage!

(I now own 3 29ers but my friends are slowly cottoning on, damn it!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    LOL!

They already own 29ers. They are the ones who convinced me to get one!

mtbr member
    A 29er bike is my next experiment after I get used to FS. Sounds a lot like the experience most people get when switching. The one thing I worry about for me is how almost every LBS I got to they say the 29er is not for me because I am 5'7" and too short. GL and HF with your 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtcurry View Post
    The one thing I worry about for me is how almost every LBS I got to they say the 29er is not for me because I am 5'7" and too short. GL and HF with your 29er.
    There are plenty of shorter folks enjoying 29ers:

am i too short for a 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm 5'9. Just a few inches taller than you. Fits fine on me.