mtbr member
    Mar 2006

First ride in 4 years....butt is killin me!!

So whats the deal? Is my butt out of shape? I rode 9 miles yesterday after pickin up my new rig in the am. Unfortunately I had on a pair of cargo shorts and set out for a ride...

On the tail end of the ride about 1/2 mile left my butt was throbbing, today i feel it worse!!

Anyhow my question is abandon the seat now, or should i use it for a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Let me know.....

mtbr member
    http://mountainbike.about.com/od/tip...t_position.htm

Research bike saddle fitting techniques first. If you're still saddle sore after the next few rides a different seat could be the way to go.
    '06 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    That is completly normal man. Just give it a few rides and it should get better. The more you ride, the easier it will be. Mine never bothers me anymore even after hours in the saddle and I have a crappy Bontrager saddle.

I would reccomend some padded riding shorts to help out but honestly, I never wear padded shorts and I make it just fine. Good luck man! Happy trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TsunamiMike
    So whats the deal? Is my butt out of shape? I rode 9 miles yesterday after pickin up my new rig in the am. Unfortunately I had on a pair of cargo shorts and set out for a ride...

On the tail end of the ride about 1/2 mile left my butt was throbbing, today i feel it worse!!

Anyhow my question is abandon the seat now, or should i use it for a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Let me know.....

LOL, If I am off the bike for 4 weeks my butt is sore when I get back on. 4 years for sure you should have some pain. Give it a few weeks of riding several times/week. If still uncomfortable then research a different seat. Also consider the padded cycling shorts.

mtbr member
    Wear 2 pair of padded shorts, and add a gel seat pad for the first few
    rides until you get used to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    First and foremost, get some shorts (baggie or lycra) with a chamois in them. Most importantly, don't wear underwear under them. If chafing becomes an issue on longer rides, go to your local farm store and grab a tin of Bag Balm and apply to pain areas prior to riding. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold.

local trails rider
    When I started riding again, after a temp job abroad, I was in pain for a couple of weeks. Now I can stay in the saddle for a few hours (with some breaks for water and recovery) without any problems, and I am not even wearing padded shorts/pants.

Give it a couple of weeks.