1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

First ride in 4 years....butt is killin me!!

So whats the deal? Is my butt out of shape? I rode 9 miles yesterday after pickin up my new rig in the am. Unfortunately I had on a pair of cargo shorts and set out for a ride...

On the tail end of the ride about 1/2 mile left my butt was throbbing, today i feel it worse!!

Anyhow my question is abandon the seat now, or should i use it for a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Let me know.....

mtbr member
    http://mountainbike.about.com/od/tip...t_position.htm

Research bike saddle fitting techniques first. If you're still saddle sore after the next few rides a different seat could be the way to go.
    '06 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    That is completly normal man. Just give it a few rides and it should get better. The more you ride, the easier it will be. Mine never bothers me anymore even after hours in the saddle and I have a crappy Bontrager saddle.

I would reccomend some padded riding shorts to help out but honestly, I never wear padded shorts and I make it just fine. Good luck man! Happy trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TsunamiMike
    So whats the deal? Is my butt out of shape? I rode 9 miles yesterday after pickin up my new rig in the am. Unfortunately I had on a pair of cargo shorts and set out for a ride...

On the tail end of the ride about 1/2 mile left my butt was throbbing, today i feel it worse!!

Anyhow my question is abandon the seat now, or should i use it for a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Let me know.....

LOL, If I am off the bike for 4 weeks my butt is sore when I get back on. 4 years for sure you should have some pain. Give it a few weeks of riding several times/week. If still uncomfortable then research a different seat. Also consider the padded cycling shorts.

mtbr member
    Wear 2 pair of padded shorts, and add a gel seat pad for the first few
    rides until you get used to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    First and foremost, get some shorts (baggie or lycra) with a chamois in them. Most importantly, don't wear underwear under them. If chafing becomes an issue on longer rides, go to your local farm store and grab a tin of Bag Balm and apply to pain areas prior to riding. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold.

local trails rider
    When I started riding again, after a temp job abroad, I was in pain for a couple of weeks. Now I can stay in the saddle for a few hours (with some breaks for water and recovery) without any problems, and I am not even wearing padded shorts/pants.

Give it a couple of weeks.