1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

First real ride...Looking for a good all in 1 tool and a hydration pack..opinions?

Like i said it looks like this weekend will be my first ride... depends on if my xfirm springs come in....

anyway, Im looking at hydration packs and I saw a great deal on a sette pack for 15 bucks + shipping 100oz! Or campelback has one for about 35 what do you think?

Like i also said im looking for an all in one tool I figured I would order it with the hydration syaytem online so hence the double question...

let m,e know~

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    hi, i have a Camelback Mule, and its great for a days riding, if youre thinking of going and needing a lot of kit, then the HAWG is good, i also have one fo them, as for the Tool, my Topeak Alien II is great, it has everything, except maybe a torx key for discs, and u can even get a chain tool to attach to it!

sam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ditto on the Alien, but I have the original and it comes with a chain tool and the torx wrench. Love it. As for the pack I have a Mule for most day rides and a Blowfish for questionable weather rides. The Hawg was overkill for me. Camelbaks are great, but you won't likely find any of the models we mention for $35. Even a past years Mule will run around $50. You get what you pay for.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    Camelbak Blowfish is what i use and recommend. I bought it from sierrapost.com ($5 disc. for new users... i think its still in effect).

Don't settle for the Sette hydration pack. The reservoir doesnt look very durable or lasting.

I have a few Sette items (such as multi-tool) and it's decent. Nothing has broken yet. Pricepoint has excellent deals for Sette.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

I play hard to want
    I have a Camelbak Mule that I got off of ebay for $46. I also have an Alien II but mine has the Torx wrench built in. Whatever type of hydration pack you buy, it's better to have extra room that you're not using than not enough room. At a minimum, you'll want to be able to carry a small air pump, tube, patches, multitool, and whatever else you think you'll need during your ride.

mtbr member
    I have one of these http://www.highsierrasport.com/ItemD...p?itemNum=6870. I've had it for about a year and havent had problems with it. It holds a good bit of gear, plus 70oz of water. I think I paid like $42 for it (gander mtn). I also have a Topeak Alien II multitool, its got almost every tool you need on it. It even has a torx wrench for disc brakes and a chain tool. I got mine for $25 from supergo.com but they are no longer around.

What I usually carry in my hydration pack:
    extra tube
    patch kit
    topeak alien II
    small first aid kit
    pedro tire levers (they rule, except no substitutes)
    small topeak air pump
    some energy bars
    and i still have room left for my rain jacket

http://www.ebags.com/backpacks/hydra...N=4001+2008891

check ebags.com for packs, they have free shipping right now on $35 orders, join their email list they always have discount coupons.