1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

First post! Raleigh talus good deal?

I havent mountain biked in 3 years and my friends have started getting back into it so i thought i would too.I recently found an eBay auction for a 2012 Raleigh talus 29er with X-Fusion Slide RL2 Suspension Fork and new pedals for 450$. Is this a good deal?

DFMBA.org

First post! Raleigh talus good deal?

Sounds like a decent deal. Post it up here if you can. Make sure it's the right size too.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    2012 Raleigh Talus 29 Mountain Bike White Hardtail 29er Medium Frame Disc Brakes | eBay

Thanks! Im 5'7" and 120 pounds so I think medium should be the right size

mtbr member
    The one I see on there that is a Talus with an XFusion Slide has a buy it now price of $580.00. The frame has some good wear and I would want a bigger picture of the dents or scratches. If everything looks good and the frame fits you, then its not a bad deal if you consider the fork alone is a $350.00 upgrade. So you're price is assuming no one bids on it. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    He doesn't give you any info or pics of the cassette, chainrings, chain, shifters or brakes. Ask for more info.
    I like that fork.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Never a good idea to announce an auction or for sale ad if you're considering buying it. You might be creating more competition for yourself due to bringing this auction to the attention of those that didn't already know about it.

Just trying to be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rjx View Post
    Never a good idea to announce an auction or for sale ad if you're considering buying it. You might be creating more competition for yourself due to bringing this auction to the attention of those that didn't already know about it.

Just trying to be helpful.
    I realized this just after I posted it but whatever the damage has been done so good luck to anybody else who will be bidding on this