1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

First post, looking for advice on buying a bike.

Hello, I'm completely new to these forums. I'm in the market for a bike, but I need one that can hold my rather overweight self. I'm 5'8" and about 250 lbs. I live in Brooklyn, and am downhill from most of my neighborhood. What are some good bikes for a person like me that I can get at a reasonable price?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    u want a comuter? u say down hill through the neighborhood as in the streets?

maybe something similar to this 2014 Fargo 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles, or a full mtb?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    A mountain bike might do for me. Those are built with larger tires and a more durable frame, right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Everybody is worried about the frame lol.. You won't break a frame in the city unless you get hit by a car. Wheels, those are the cost saving things that break. Cheap suspension fork make bikes horrible. But the frame? Don't worry about it. If you want a bike for the city, skinnier tires will make any bike work.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you want to see what a road bike can handle check out ,Road Bike Party on you tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012