Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First post, first mtn bike upgrade suggestions

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Yamaha250 
#1 ·
Hey there, this is my first post. I just picked up a 2013 khs alite 350 as a cheap entry level bike to practice on, just wondering what possible upgrades anyone would suggest. Oh yah I'm a university student so I cant afford to buy a 3000$ bike if that's your suggestion.I Like downhill with small drops and jumps want to learn to go bigger while I save for a better bike
thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If you're already looking to upgrade the bike you hust got why didn't you buy a better one in the first place?
Ride it as it is, sooner or later you'll have a good feel of what components are holding you back.

Most efficient & cheapest upgrades you can do is cockpit & tires. The popular short stem/wide bar combo is oopular for a reason, it greatly improves handling and control. A new set of tires that suit your terrain/style will give you more grip in turns, climbing and possibly better rolling. Always go for grippier on the front, faster on the back. Volume is your friend as it allows for lower pressures which mean more traction and comfort.
More expensive but just as important is a good fork. It will completely transform your ride. Finally, a good set of wheels, but we are getting spendy by now. Best to avoid complete wheelsets, have someone build you a good 32-hole set, go for tubeless rims if possible and reliable, serviceable hubs. If you reach that point though, maybe it's time for a new bike.

#4 ·
I also just got into the game, or back into it after a 25 year absence.

My needs will be different, but I started with a decent entry level bike too; a base specialized rockhopper I bought lightly used.

I figure this bike will teach what I need to know about maintenance and where I want to go next.
On one hand I'm looking at Surly fat tire bikes and on the other some super sophisticated ti Jeff Jones machines.

I like the minimalist approach using entry level bikes.

I'm also a RTW motorcycle rider and very much recommend the basic simple rides over the fancy rigs. I have two older KLR650's strategically positioned across the globe.

Anyway the point is as I see it is to ride as much as you can. At some point I want to RTW on a bicycle.

#5 ·
My reco is the same as others. I would ride and do nothing until it breaks... It's always a temptation to want to upgrade as soon as you get your bike..

If you must upgrade try it first and see for yourself what parts aren;t working for your riding style / terrain. Based on that you will have an infomred need and can ask others hear for advice on what make they would suggest for that part. otherwise you will get a thousand opinions and none of which may align with the need above.

I keep having to remind myself of that…

Once you know / need an upgrade get recommendations from people…

Just my two cents…

#14 ·
I got a Specialized Rockhopper this spring. It is my first bike since I was a kid. I rode it just like it was out of the box. Broke a pedal on a rock and replaced them. I also noticed my grips were moving while riding. So I bought ODI's. And I love them.
Ride it until you break it, then replace parts. But most of all...
Have Fun!!!

#21 ·
Raise the seat,
Clean the brake rotors with fingernail polish remover or a good dish soap scrubbing,
If you can set the fork sag to about 30%,
Fresh tubes n tires if they have a few years on them, I don't like dried out rubbers.

Now just ride it as hard as you can, then ride it harder.
See what everyone else rides on the trail your going to ride,
Support your LOCAL BIKE SHOP, when you purchase your next bike.

I know some one who Is attached to an entry level bike that's 9 years old.
He replaced the drive train with XO gear and took off the mech brakes , went with wet brakes, changed out the beginner sun tour fork.
$1800 worth of upgrades on a $500 bike. The bike is still an entry level bike but he's happy,,
Scientist have discovered a virus that about 45% of the worlds population has,
They believe it affects intellect the most, lowering it big time.
I told him to go see a doctor, he didn't listen...
Told him a new $1800 HT would be faster, lighter, and look better, he didn't
listen.
I think It's like having an old car that you love that needs new everything so you put $2000 wheels on it and do nothing else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.