1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010

First Off-road ride today!

I've been dying to get my bike off of the pavement since I got it 3 weeks ago and I finally got the chance today. This was my first trip into the woods on a bike ever, and I just started riding a bike again when I got this one.
    I had the best time I've had in a long long time

Ever since I sold my drag car I've been looking for a hobby to take its place, and i think I may have found my new addiction. The feeling when you start building some speed, coming around a few turns and through some dips was awesome!

I went to HP because i would be heading in that direction today any how. Obviously I don't have anything to compare it to so I'm wondering how it compares to some other places, difficulty and layout wise? It's almost all rock and root, and a lot of short climbing sections, is everywhere like this? I live very close to Lynn Woods and Topsfield is close too. I would also like to get out to nam.
    I feel like I did pretty well for my first time out. I did have to get off the bike a few times for some of the rockier climbs, and at a couple smaller bridges in some techy areas but for the most part I was able to navigate fairly well. I learned a few things too though,
    1. Wear my shin/knee Guards. ( the marks on my leg from loosing footing will remind me)
    2. Pedal timing practice is absolutely critical...lol I definitely marked them up a bit.
    3. My hydration pack was my best buy to date aside from the bike.
    4. Baggy shorts can get caught on the front of the seat when trying to slide rearward for downhill sections.

Bottom line is I cannot wait to get out again, and to get to some more of the local trails to check them out. I hope to meet lots of you guys along the way.
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Professional Speed Bump
    Welcome to the new drug.

mtbr member
    congrats on the ride... i'll make some comments;

i've never worn shin or knee guards ever and while i do bash my knees and shins ever once and awhile i really don't mind it, but to each his own

yep a camelbak is one of the best things out there as well, being able to hydrate while moving is great

too baggy of shorts can cause problems. If you have the money look into a pair of mountain bike specific shorts like the Fox Rangers... they have built in padding and they are not too baggy. Pricepoint has them on sale for 39$ right now which is a pretty good deal.

Happy riding!
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It is funny that you call it an addiction. I have not even been offroad yet and it has already consumed all my spare money. $720 for bike, additional $400 in gear and add ons, and I do not even have a pair of mountain bike shorts. My wife agrees with the addiction labeling.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeyc
    It is funny that you call it an addiction. I have not even been offroad yet and it has already consumed all my spare money. $720 for bike, additional $400 in gear and add ons, and I do not even have a pair of mountain bike shorts. My wife agrees with the addiction labeling.
    Just tell her it is for exercise. My wife is buying that so far.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I spend 10+ hours a week in the Gym; she won't buy the whole exercise thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeyc
    I spend 10+ hours a week in the Gym; she won't buy the whole exercise thing.
    same here, its def just fun and the fact that exercise comes with it is just a plus