1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

First MTB Build...Could use some help

6'5" 210, I was looking for an XL All Mountain, not many out there, so decided to build one. purchased a '09 Trek Remedy 9 frame on ebay, he said there were a few scratches. turns out, golf ball size dent on bottom of the frame. someone painted it black to attempt to cover it up. Is the frame compromised/going to break on the first log i high-center on? Should I send it back? paid $550, should I keep it and ask for some $ back?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First MTB Build...Could use some help-imag0672.jpg  

First MTB Build...Could use some help-imag0676.jpg  

First MTB Build...Could use some help-imag0678.jpg  

Get to dah choppah
    Your frame is a 7000 series aluminum (IIRC). The damaged area creates what's called a stress riser. It will begin to create propogation cracks (which you can already see occuring). When they become long enough, the material will fail.

Stress concentration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See aluminum vs. types of steel -

Aluminium alloy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary - it will break there eventually and you won't be happy, particularly if it happens catastrophically.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: First MTB Build...Could use some help

Return and make seller pay for shipping. Sometimes contacting ebay and letting them know what happened helps and they'll pay for shipping

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I would return it for the simple fact that the seller was not honest about the sale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes, return and make the seller reimburse shipping as well. If you get any trouble eg having to send more than one message, file snad (google). The snad is the magic bullet, dont' worry, it's nearly impossible for sellers to scam on ebay. EBAY always protects the buyer in these situations.